[ 17 ] east foxhole

1

1.17 | EAST FOXHOLE

___

"OH, FUCK IT, I'm gonna try!" I announce, firing stray bullets at the Grounders, making sure to do so sparingly. It feels like they start running more and more with each gunshot that they hear and soon, it is hard for me to keep my eyes on one separate person. I know what they're doing, and I'll be damned if I let them outsmart me. My walkie is constantly crackling, someone is always pressing down the button on their side and shouting. It is getting out of control, but when I miraculously fire another bullet and see a Grounder collapse, the radio goes silent and I pull my face back from the scope, the rifle going limp in my hands.

"I just shot someone," the words that come out of my mouth are laced with disbelief and I feel my eyes widen.

"Someone just totally took one of them down! Now some of them are retreating!"

Aiden is staring me down intently, shuffling closer slightly in preparation for something to happen. Instead, I stare at the walkie, gulping nervously. With shaking hands and my eyelids falling shut heavily, I push the button, "I, uh... It was East foxhole. We're getting less movement."

The radio falls silent again, but gunshots still boom steadily. You're a gunner, Emily, I think to myself, What did you think you would do?

I am meant to save lives, not take them.

I shake my head and shake it off. We're at war. It's either you or them, and that will have to be enough for me for now.

With that, I squint into the scope, noticing that the amount of running figures is increasing rapidly again, as do the gunshots that are constantly ringing through the gloom. The radio is working overtime again, the static crakcling non-stop with the announcements of other gunners. That sound is soon overpowered by an explosion, though, and I turn my head just in time to see a body flop to the ground. Following that, there is another crack coming from the walkie talkie by my legs and Jasper's voice yells obnoxiously, "Raven, our mines actually worked!"

Thankfully, it seems to scare the Grounders away from that area.

"Jasper, we need you in the dropship right now!" Clarke's voice comes through, my eyebrows furrowing in curiosity. The Grounders are running back and forth in our area, crossing our line of sight in frustrating zig-zags. However, I do not dare fire another bullet again. Our swiftly diminishing ammo is important and I can't shoot without knowing if the bullet will hit the target or miss. The previous successful shot was likely a one time thing.

"Negative. We can't give up the West woods."

"The West woods are mined, Bellamy. The Grounders just figured that out. Jasper, get in here," my friend insists.

Then, all I hear next are gunshots and the distinct yells of a girl, as multiple landmines in a row are set off once again, the dark forest flashing with the orange glow of heated flames. The radio hisses again with Jasper's urgent and serious tone, "All gunners, listen up! The Grounders are not attacking. They're making us waste bullets. Don't shoot when they're running laterally."