[ 08 ] stay

2

2.8. | STAY

___

THE REST OF the night I spent avoiding Abby and even Raven. Or everyone in Camp Jaha for that matter. I wanted to have some time to myself, especially after the emotionally exhausting day that brought one too many bad news.

The next night, I stayed awake, counting the uncountable and thinking the unthinkable. Only when I lost count of the most visible stars for the third time in a row, I decided to stop and rolled onto my side with a frustrated groan.

I ignored the way my body screamed in protest as I was laying on the hard surface of the ground, the blanket under me not making the situation any better.

Staring into the woods around the camp and listening in to the never ending chatter of the workers, I didn't even notice that my cheeks were damp when I reached up to touch the skin that tickled from the tears.

I just wanted a break. I wanted to live a day without fighting with my father, who was now gone. I wanted to wake up and be greeted by one of my grandmother's warm smiles. I wanted to listen to Jasper and Monty's unstoppable bickering and Aiden's constant complaints about the smallest of inconveniences. I wanted to crack jokes with Bellamy. I wanted to live normally.

Unfortunately, it was just a fantasy that was yet to be or wasn't going to be fulfilled due to the pile of the current circumstances.

Until the chatter grew louder and brought me out of my thoughts, that is. I pushed myself up, using my uninjured arm, seeing a small crowd forming by the gates of the camp. I slowly stood up and made my way towards the opening gates, picking up my pace to reach the spot faster. Just barely reaching the crowd, I came to a halt and tried to crane my neck to see over the many heads of the guards, though it didn't do much help. Thankfully, I could balance myself back onto my feet, as soon the people parted, a group walking through.

I barely suppressed the cry of relief when I realized that it was Clarke, Finn, Murphy and the Blake siblings, so I walked forward until I had reached the group's side, falling into step with them.

Receiving multiple greetings at the same time, I blinked in confusion, before settling for a simple answer, "Hey-" I turned to glance at Finn and Murphy, making sure they weren't injured, "-what's going on? Why do you all look so.."

"Dead inside? Oh, that's a natural look by now, Emily." Murphy finished for me. Then, the boy looked ahead to see Abby approaching us quickly. "Well, good luck with that." He clapped me on the back cheerfully, before attempting to leave our side.

Bellamy gripped the back of his jacket, pulling him back, before he turned his head to look at me after sensing that I was already gazing up at him. I arched my eyebrow in amusement.