[ 16 ] stranger danger

[ 2

[ 2.16. STRANGER DANGER]

-

MY EARS RING. It feels like the noise is just about to split my brain, sending the erratic thunks of my heartbeat around until they echo with the force of a powerful blow to the head. I feel dizzy without even being completely awake and a headache rapidly blossoms until the sides of my head feel like they're just about to cave in.

The last thing I remember before regaining conciousness (well, on some level), is the sanitizing routine of some sort, which they completed on an entire group of us by scrubbing our skin raw, using different kinds of excruciatingly stinging substances and dousing us in boiling hot water, just like Lincoln had said.

The memory of the preparation for harvesting, which I recall being my tag, is triggered by the sting that arises on my skin and sets my nerve endings ablaze when I somehow make contact with something that isn't my own body. I remember the way each step of the routine caused complete agony, the screams that echoed through the steam in the dark room. I remember the way they mercilessly dragged the sharp bristles of a brush across the old scars and even forgotten stitches from my most serious injuries from being attacked by grounders, or the sharp sting to my heart before that when Lincoln gave in to the serum.

My heart momentarily wrenches in my chest; I hope he is okay. I would never let myself forget it if he wasn't. We are the reason he had to return to this place, after all.

I feel my eyelids flutter, yet I still can't manage to open them. The ringing in my ears slowly reduces in volume until it's just a dull hum- Or is that sound coming from the setting around me?

And then, there's a whisper, "Em."

My chest constricts; I will recognize that voice anywhere. From the gentle tone of his voice when he addresses me by my nickname, I instantly know that it is Bellamy. I feel his touch on my skin and multiple thoughts hit me at once.

Why can't I move?

The cold material around me, is that metal? Is this a cage?

Most importantly,

My God. Am I naked?

The internal panic is washed away by another whisper, "Em. Emily!"

I try to shuffle around, slowly recovering from the stiffness in my body. My eyelids are still too heavy, though, so I can't really peel them open yet.

"Em, please, just wake up, please," Bellamy pleads under his breath, and I feel hands brushing against either sides of my face.