[ 03 ] hammer time

2

2.3. | HAMMER TIME

___

"OH, JESUS CHRIST, just pull it out!"

''Okay, on three—''

''No, no warning. Just— just do it.''

''Okay, alright.''

As the wings of the arrow rip the skin around it apart, I can't help but to release a low, grunt-like scream. ''Yeah, okay, maybe next time I should be more prepared.''

''Maybe you should,'' Abby whispers thoughtlessly, concentrating on my wound, ''It's infected.''

''Well, ain't that jolly?'' I peel my eyelids open, turning my head to look at my shoulder. Disgusting. ''Cut the infected flesh away.''

''What? Emily—''

''Just do it, Abby. I know you brought antibiotics, but you gotta get rid of that,'' I sigh, plopping my head back down. She gives in with a defeated nod, preparing the tools she needs and grabbing a local anesthetic, while my eyes trail down to the bloodied arrow that now lies on a little metal tray.

''The infection isn't from poison, right? Because those morherfu—''

Abby coughs.

''—I mean, those Grounders poison everything,'' I correct with a sheepish smile, though a frown then follows, ''I mean it shouldn't be, though, right, 'cause last time I was poisoned, I had different symptoms and they showed pretty soon after the stabbing."

''You were poisoned?' And stabbed?" Her eyes are wide with horror.

''Oh, yeah. I didn't tell you about that?'' I tilt my head.

''No, you only told me about the arrow."

''Oh. Well, you're not gonna believe this, it was epic!'' I laugh as I think back to the day I almost died. For the first time, might I add. Abby shakes her head with a small smile, but I think she just might be in shock. ''What?''

''You've changed, yet you're still the same you. So, tell me. What happened here?'' I begin telling Abby all about our adventures; how Raven and I were welcomed into the camp, Octavia's abduction which lead to our rescue mission, which lead to my poisoning (thanks again, Lincoln!). I also don't forget to mention that we ate funky nuts for dinner that made us all hallucinate, which almost got Clarke, Bellamy and I killed by the teenage murderer Dax, who turned out to be the Ark's traitor's, Guard Commander Shumway's little pawn. I also tell her about Unity Day and how it ended with a shootout at the bridge, which ultimately lead to the battle of the dropship, not before Murphy brought a hemorrhagic fever into the camp, tried to execute Bell and also kill me. Occasionally, I interrupt myself with groans of pain while she fixes my arm up, listening intently, but the reminiscing of my first weeks on Earth still brings a smile to my face, even though I feel my chest constrict every now and then.