[ 06 ] be careful

2

2.6. | BE CAREFUL

___

I AM KNEELING beside Octavia, instructing her on exactly what to do to safely bandage Monroe's leg, having had no choice but to rip the arrow out. The boys stand circled around us — Bellamy is consoling Mel, Finn is drawing a map, and Murphy... Well, he's just being Murphy.

''Thank God you came when you did,'' Monroe breathes out, wincing in pain when Octavia tightens the last knot on her bandage.

I release the first knot by pulling my thumb out of the loop, now secure and no longer under threat of coming undone, and Octavia finishes tying a bow, ''I was going back to camp when I heard the shots.''

''We are probably gonna head back to the site now,'' I inform, finally standing up and stretching my aching legs. My arm still pulsates with dull pain, but I choose to ignore it; what is a little arm wound against a saved life?

Murphy picks up the foghorn, ''Nice horn. What happened to your boyfriend?''

I watch as Octavia rips the object out of his hands, placing it back down beside the rest of her belongings, ''He's gone."

With my head turned just the slightest, I glance at Bellamy as he approaches the three of us and places his hand on my back. I give him a soft smile and he kneels down to address his sister, ''Hey. I'm sorry, O.''

''The Grounders will be back, so we need to go,'' she avoids the subject further, packing up her stuff, ''Now.''

From behind us, Finn calls in agreement, ''Yes, we do.''

"Yeah, we need to get Monroe to medical," I nod, turning around to face the girl, "Let's hope you got as lucky as I did and the arrow wasn't poisoned. Well, as lucky as you could get. You get what I mean. We should go, just in case.''

Bellamy's gaze travels from me to Finn, ''Yeah, I have to take them home.''

''I know,'' Finn hands Bell the plan and the map he just finished sketching.

''I'll meet you as soon as I can,'' the older man then assures after inspecting the piece of paper. Finn starts walking away, already picking up his pace.

''Parting,'' Murphy sighs, making me snap my head toward him, ''Such sweet sorrow, right?''

''Where the hell do you think you're going?'' Both Finn and Murphy stop when Bellamy speaks.

''Come on, Bellamy, you know if I go with you, they'll just lock me up again.''

He stops to think about it for a second, before nodding slowly and reaching to get his gun. I take a step forward. Bellamy tosses it to the younger boy.