[ 13 ] spacewalker, pt ii

hey, my loves! just popping in to apologize for the longest wait for a chapter. there has been so much shit happening and this chapter was extremy hard to write as i was afraid that i would not do finn's death justice. so here's a long chapter.

uh, happy reading?

also, how amazing is this gif (below) of bell and emily? its incredible! thank you, thomasangsters !! be sure to check out their other stuff <3

[ 2.13. SPACEWALKER, PT II ]

-

SOMEHOW, THE WAIT to my appointment with Abby is long; it seems like plenty of people are getting work injuries or are still recovering from the landing
I sit just outside medical, patiently waiting for my que. It's silent in the corridor, besides the quiet hum of the Ark and the buzz from its inhabitants. I am alone in the dull grey room, twiddling with the strap of my rifle and restlessly tapping my foot on the floor. The atmosphere stays tense ever since Clarke's arrival with the news from the Commander - I try to zone my worry about Finn out and instead think of anything else.

For example, I contemplate finally asking Abby if I can rejoin the staff as a medic, as not that long ago, I had finished my training. (Only to go to Earth right after, but I'm fine, we're fine.) It's something I actually wanted to pursue in my life, but, lately, I've just been on guard duty, a weapon etched into my hands ever since we actually found them a while ago.

That is, if my little eye problem allows me to. To be a doctor, I had to go through many medical examinations myself and I passed all of them, but now, I'll have to see what Abby says. It actually does worry me; what if she doesn't allow me to get that job?

I grow more impatient by the second, now really nervous about the checking. My foot stops hitting the floor and my knee begins to bounce up and down instead, but my internal tantrum is interrupted by an approaching shadow and then, a voice, ''Are you okay? Do I need to ask for Abby?''

My head snaps up in wonder and my eyes lock with someone else's. I'm a little taken aback by the girl's slight accent, as people on the Ark rarely have one; the languages were forgotten quickly and everyone speaks clean english, however, she doesn't - there's a slight foreign hint in the way she talks.

''No, no, it's fine,'' I quickly recover and my eyes trail down to the bucket and mop in her hands, ''Need help with that? I could use a distraction.''

The girl shakes her head and smiles, putting the bucket down, ''Nah, thanks. There's nothing much to do, I just clean floors, really.''

I lightly chuckle at her enthusiasm, leaning my head back down. With the corner of my eye I see her grin, too, ''What's your name?''