[ 14 ] flames of death

[ 2

[ 2.14. FLAMES OF DEATH ]

-

WHEN I HEAR that Finn's body is to be brought to the village for another death ritual, I almost pass out. It's safe to say that all of us were exhausted after the tragic events of the night, but the commander ordered us to leave immediately.

So, here we are, in the early hours of the morning, making our way down to the exact same village Finn massacred to watch the body burn. The walk is practically silent; no one dares to talk. Occasionally, a word or two are exchanged between a few people.

Only Bellamy and I keep up a conversation. We talk more than we are silent. I use the chance to explain my surprising situation to him. He finally finds out about Aiden, along with Raven. She falls into step with the two of us several times during the long journey, presumably to take things off of her mind. Judging by the everlasting anger that radiates her, I don't think it helps.

"No wonder your case was kept a secret," Bellamy mumbles after I explain the details of what happened after our birth, "Can't say I wasn't suspicious, though."

I look up at him, confused, "What do you mean?"

He lightly shrugs, adjusting his rifle and I'm reminded of the absence of a gun of my own, "Just the little things I noticed in camp, or when I snuck on the dropship," he pauses, side-eyeing me, "at the time I thought we were getting a complete nutjob on board. Turns out, he really was waiting for his sister to come."

I visibly recoil, my whole body flinching backwards as if I had retrieved a punch to my stomach. It surely feels like it.

"Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"It's fine," I assure him, placing my hand on top of his, which had found its way onto my shoulder, "I think I'll need some younger sibling advice from you."

I look forward as he lightly chuckles. My eyes fix on Clarke, who's walking just several feet in front of us. I can't possibly imagine how she feels and just the thought of the pain she's going through makes my eyes burn with tears, but I blink them away as fast as they show. She's been silent and walking alone the entire time. The girl almost floats in the thoughts of her own and the only thing that reminds me she's concious, is the way her body tensed when she listened to my previous revelation to Bellamy. She never joined in, though, and I don't blame her at all.

When Bellamy follows my line of vision, he steps closer, lowering his voice, "Should we talk to her?"

"We could try," I shrug. We don't think for too long. The two of us pick up our pace right as her head snaps to the trees at the side of the path.