[ 02 ] the hundred

2

2.2. | THE HUNDRED

___

WHEN A GROUP of people enters the room and puts an end to the almost peaceful silence, I am practically asleep from both the exhaustion and pain that seems to intensify with each minute the arrow is still stuck in my shoulder, but when the ever so familiar voice of my dad calls my name, I scramble around on the floor in shock. The blurryness of my vision doesn't help at all; I assume I dreamt it or I am just delirious, hallucinating.

''Emily!'' I hear it again.

I finally recover from the initial surprise and rub my eyes clear, my hands trembling by my sides, ''Dad!''

And within the next couple of seconds, I have leaped up from the floor and I am pulled into a strong, protective embrace, truly one that of a father's. I make sure that I angle myself in a way that won't push the arrow deeper inside my muscle when I collide with dad, blankly staring over his shoulder in pure shock. His hand strokes the back of my head, holding it close to his chest. My injured arms awkwardly hangs by my hip.

At last, I pull back to look at him with my mouth agape and lip wobbling. Seeing him is the greatest relief one could possibly experience. For a moment, I feel like a kid again, my inner child wanting nothing more than to sob in his secure arms. I feel so small and so scared, just like I did on the Ark sometimes when I was little, and dad would always come to the rescue, just like he's done now. Looking at him, alive and well, is a surreal feeling. "You're here, dad!"

''You have an arrow in your shoulder!'' He just calls out, shock evident in his storming eyes as I stare right back at him dreamily, as if I am in a trance.

''Yeah, I do have an arrow in my shoulder,'' at first, my voice seems void of any emotion, the tone unwavering, before my shoulders slump and I let out a whimper, ''I can't believe you're here. I missed you so much, dad."

And his arms encase me again, tight and grounding, careful not to caress my arm or its accessory.

''Emily? Oh, God!'' A woman's voice breathes beside me, making me immediately pull away from my dad. I let my eyes wander around until they land onto Doctor Abby Griffin, my mentor and Clarke's mom.

''You're all alive...'' I choke out, stumbling into her arms, pulling her in for a quick hug.

''You have to help them both,'' the weak voice of John Murphy then interjects, making the doctor kneel down beside Raven. Then, Abby tilts her head up to look at me once again, her eyes flickering to my own injury.

''Raven needs it more,'' I hate how pathetic my voice now sounds, filled to the brim with emotion, threatening to tip over the edge, ''We couldn't do much. The bullet is in her hip, we cauterized the wound."