Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

Seeing his bareback broke me out of the daze that I had fallen in. The buzzing became the loud voices around me as Gray placed himself between me and Red. For some strange reason instead of pushing Gray out of my way and making some comment, I stepped forward and lent my head against his back.

It was strange really that Gray placed himself in the middle.

I wasn't afraid of Red and knew that he wouldn't hurt me again. I knew that he wouldn't slice me with his sword, ignoring my pleas for him to stop and my pleas that I didn't want to fight family. He wasn't about to come out me again and try to take Lucy away from me.

He wouldn't take the Light I had found so long ago.

"Master, we can't --"

"It's fine." I said, my hand tightening on Grays arm. "I'm glad he's here, y'know."

Was I glad that he was here?

I always thought Red as family.

"Hurry up and take a seat!" Cana said, as the lights went out. "The main event is about to start."

Gray didn't say anything as he grabbed my arm and pulled me after him and to a table. I took a seat at the end, wondering if the others had found the same place as well. Light appearing farther down the table told me that Natsu and Cana made it as she was scolding him.

Lucy's voice came across from where I sat. I knew that Gray sat beside me but I wasn't sure if it was Erza or someone else that sat on his other side. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust.

The sound of curtains rustled before a spotlight turned on to show Mirajane sitting with a instrument in her hands. It looked like she was getting ready to sing.

Cheers escaped from the crowd for her.

I watched, feeling happy for the moment. Red sudden appearance might've confused me but I didn't need to think about it at that moment. I could wait and instead enjoy watching Mirajane sing for everyone.

Instead of worrying about Red I could think about insults for Gray and Natsu.

Red wasn't the only friend that deeply mattered to me anymore. Red and Meko weren't the only ones that I held close anymore.

There was Lucy and her dazzling smile. She's the reason that I joined Fairy Tail in the first place. She's the reason I stuck around instead going off to wonder.

There was Gray and his ability to be stupid. He was so similar to Meko that it was easy to think of him as a friend and lean on him like I just did.

There was Erza who's past was closer to mine then I thought. She was so much like Red yet she was so different. I couldn't tell that Erza loved her friends and counted everyone in this guild as family.

There was Natsu and his pink hair. I still have to prove to him that my Dragon Slayer magic was the real deal while his was fake. And I still had to ask him where he got his dragon scarf and why it looked so much like mine.

There was Happy, and Delma.

Then everyone else in the guild that grew on me - Levy, Jet, Droy, Cana, Mirajane, Elfman, and so many others.

I closed my eyes, laying my head against Grays arms for the moment. He didn't say anything or even tried to move away. I don't know why I did it when it was clear that this Ice Make wizard was nothing but an annoying stripper who I thought to be a friend.

I had finally found a place to call home.