Chapter 3

It was a week later, and by now, I haven't done my laundry in days and my dorm's machine is broken.

I spent a while debating whether or not wearing dirty underwear was really that bad. Eventually I decided to just go down the street to the laundromat, cause who wants to sit next to a smelly version of me in history class? Certainly not me.

As soon as I stuffed myself and my giant bag of dirty clothes inside the door, I realised that it was 11 at night and if the old guy that worked here wasn't snoring behind the counter, I would have mistaken the place for closed.

What great timing to do this Jimin... you just have the best ideas.

Thankfully, I actually knew how to work this thing, so as soon as the washing machine started, I leaned back against the wall and began waiting.

I checked my phone out of nervous habit, but obviously didn't have any texts.

The noise of the machine gradually woke up the guy that owned the place, and he glanced at me with a smile and started flipping through the pages of a glossy magazine that he'd dropped on the floor.

It was only then that I noticed someone else was here.

He had hidden himself away in the corner, as far away from me as someone could get in this tiny space.

I could clearly tell he was having trouble figuring out how to work his machine, since he kept adjusting the black cap on his head out of frustration, but I was too tired and too socially inept to actually go over there and try to help the guy.

He'd just have to do it on his own.

The older man behind the counter looked up from his magazine at me and smiled again.

"Hey kid, tell me something. Why is it that your generation thinks that doing ridiculous things like this-" he hold up the magazine, "is equal to fame these days?"

I peered closer at the picture he was showing me. A half naked guy holding a literal whip in the middle of a park.

I smiled. "You know I couldn't tell ya mister."

"Aish, kids like this are why I have half the mind to go back to Canada." He says.

"Oh I'm sure it's not better there," I say, stepping up to the counter and staring at the magazine.

As soon as I saw the picture up close, I realised who it was.

"Oh hey, I met this guy last week!" I say.

"Pity for you," the old man mumbles, sinking back into his chair.

I shrug.

"I don't know, apparently Lee Taemin is the next big thing-" I start to say, but suddenly there's a crashing noise from behind me and I realise that the guy in the corner just somehow slammed his foot into something.

I have no idea what just happened, but he's on the floor now and he's mumbling in pain so forgoing my previous instinct to not get involved in the affairs of others, I run over to help him.

"Annyeong chingu, gwaenchanh ni? (hey friend, are you okay?)"

"I'm fine..." he said.

His voice sounded pretty young, and he did have a Korean accent so I guess I was right in assuming he was...

I grabbed his arm to help him up, his face still hidden by the baseball cap, bits of short black hair sticking out.

The second he looked at me, I did a double take.