Chapter 24

Park Jimin continued to surprise me...

Grinning down at me from the top of the tree, he said something to me but I could hardly hear him.

"Mwo (what?)" I called up.

Then I watched as Jimin-ah climbed all the way back down in less than ten seconds and landed with a thump on the ground next to me.

He sighed. "I said, you look short Oppa."

Smiling, I grabbed him quickly and bent down to throw him over my shoulder.

"Yah!" He cried, hitting me and trying to get away.

"The more you yell, the more people will stare at you." I told him, starting to carry him toward the curb where I'd parked my bike.

I knew Jimin-ah would never cause an unnecessary scene. He shut up.

Tossing him onto the bike, he blinked his eyes and stared at me.

"What?" I say, "It's time to go."

Suddenly Jimin-ah grabbed my hand and held it.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked.

I smiled again.

"Little one, don't worry so much about me."

Jimin-ah started to shake his head.

"Listen," I say. "As long as I have you, I'm going to be fine."

I watched him blush and then do that thing with his sleeves where he tucked his hands all the way inside them. He did that when he was feeling shy.

"Okay, let's go then." He smiled nervously.

We drove all the way there with Jimin-ssi's hands wrapped around my waist.

As we pulled up, I felt him let go of me slightly...

"It might be a little awkward at first," I tell him, as I stared at my house.

It looked exactly the same, except there were no more flowers in the front pot...

"But, I'll always protect you." I added.

Jimin-ah hugged me tightly for a few seconds, and I felt myself calm down.

"I know Oppa..." he said in a whisper.

When he let go of me and we started walking toward the front door, I finally realized how horrible this was about to be.

I never thought I'd have to see my mother again. I never thought she'd ever want to...

I felt like I didn't know her anymore, and as I knocked on the door, my heart raced painfully as I wondered how much my mother had actually changed.

We heard footsteps, and instead of stepping behind me like he usually would, Jimin-ah stood right next to me.

The door opened.

And I think I hated it more that she looked just as I remembered.

It would have been easier if I hadn't recognized her...

"Taemin," I heard her sigh.

She looked exhausted.

"I'm home." Was all I could say.

I saw her almost smile, but then she saw Jimin.

"Mannaseo bangabseubnida (nice to meet you.)" Jimin muttered awkwardly.

"Jimin-ah, you can speak English, she understands a little." I tell him.

He blushes, "Oh sorry. Um, nice to finally meet you Ms. Lee."