Racetrack Higgins » Girl at The Races

"GO! GO! C'mon! YES!" Race yelled as horse number 7 finished the race in first place. The newsboy happily got his money and almost skipped all the way back to the Lodge.

Half-way down his path, he saw a face way too familiar. He usually saw her in a helmet and in a long sleeved top with pants.

Race walked up to her. "(Y/N)?" She nodded politely and sent a warm smile on the way. She's prettier closer. He thought. "I's just gotta say, thank ya' for never letting me down at the races. Youse always been my favorite." He complimented, scratching his neck ever so slightly.

"Don't mention it! Supporters like you are what gives me confidence to always win and entertain." (Y/N) chirped happily. She analyzed the boy speaking with her, blonde hair, ocean blue eyes, cute face. Wait what? She thought.

"Anyways, I have to go back. Nice meeting you-"

"Racetrack, youse can call me Race though."

"Race, see you again sometime." She smiled, before we walked away.

Race stood there still a little bit start struck, but shrugged it off and continued walking back to the Lodge.

He was greeted by Albert, noticing how giddy he was. And as a friend, ofcourse he had to tease him. "What do we have hea'? Racetrack's extra happy today? Met a pretty goil'?" He asked, punching Race's shoulder lightly. "I's actually did Al." He said in a mocking even though it was true.

"Was it (Y/N)? The one who youse bet on?" He nudged Race's elbows. "Yeah, who else would it be?"
He stuck his cigar in his mouth.

Albert gave him a second glance before exiting and saying "goodluck.". Race shrugged it off and went to his bunk.

All day he couldn't stop thinking about (Y/N). She was sweet, humble and kind to other jockeys. The way her (h/c) falls on her face. Her frame was perfect to him. She was perfect in his eyes.

If only she was his and he was hers. Race could only imagine, but soon enough it wasn't just a dream, it turned into a reality after he got the courage to ask her out.

The next day, Race was a man on a mission. He set up a mental plan on how he was gonna ask her out. He went by his usual routine, get dressed, go to the circulation gate, get and sell his papes, go to the races and things should happen...

He was at his usual spot at the races and had already bet on (Y/N), horse number 7. He sat down, crossed every finger he has and as if he won the lottery she (again) won first place, leaving the other horses in the dust.

Race saw her hop off the horse and went inside a room to change in her normal street clothes as her race was finished.

(Y/N) walked out of the said room and went out the gates of the races, before Race could stop her. "(Y/N)!" He yelled running towards her, (Y/N) jerked her head at the direction of where the sound was coming from.

She saw Racetrack- rather, Race walking towards her, slight nervousness found in his eyes. "Race! It's good to see you again." She said happily. "Youse too, mind if we's talk somewhere more quiet?" He asked, (Y/N) was a tiny bit shocked but obliged, so the two exited the races and walked calmly along the streets of New York.

She stopped infront of him. "So what was it you're gonna say to me?" She politely asked, observing his body language, fidgety hands, sporadic eye movements, the heels rocking back and forth, (Y/N) knew he was going to ask the question she'd like to hear.

"I's sorry if this sounds too forward, but would youse go out with me? Ya' know because I's just thinks youse really sweet and humble, and youse been growin' on me really fast." He winced all the way he was talking because he didn't know what you'd say.

"Race, that is really sweet." (Y/N) smiled brightly. "And yes ofcourse, I'd go out with you." Now she was grinning like an idiot.

"Can I's walk ya' home? It's gettin' dark" He offered. She nodded her head yes and grabbed Races hand. He was a little bit flustered at first but warmed up to it. (THE RACE HAS BEEN FINALLY DEFEATED!!! HE CAN'T GET HIS FLIRTATIOUS DOINGS OUT YEET YEET)

"While we're walking, tell me about yourself?" She asked, occasionally looking up at his big blue eyes that just pop in the sunset.

"There's not really much, but I's been a newsie since I was 9, now I'm 16. I love races and horses, probably as much as you do." He joked. "The other newsies, I loves them as brothers. And this cigar, I don't light it, I just chews on it because-- I's actually don't know why... Probably just a habit. What about youse?"

"Well, I live with my younger sister and mother. I've been riding horses for as long as I can remember. I plan on going back to school after I've saved up enough money from horse racing and all that-- looks like we're here." She smiled up at him.

"I guess I'll come by here tomorrow. Sun set." He shot her a small grin, still proud with himself on how he got the courage, even though he was flirtatious as heck.

"That would be great." She smiled warmly, before leaning up and kissing him on the cheek. (Y/N) entered her home after she shot another glance and wave at a start struck Race.

"I is your goodluck charm!" Albert yelled from an alley nearby. Race walked in the alley, only to see Albert, Romeo, JoJo and Finch spying on him.

"JESUS CHRIST! What do I's have to do to get from youse?!"

Hey guys! More chapters are coming in the next days! Thank you for reading and stuff.

Love y'all

-Shelly♡