Davey Jacobs » Dreams

It was a bright and sunny day in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Davey Jacobs had just sold his last pape, knowing that it was only 11am, it was indeed a good day for the Jacobs brothers.

Though, Davey didn't really know what was in store for him. “Aye, Davey! Sold ya' papes early huh?” Jack greeted his fellow newsie, rather friend in the middle of the street.

Davey nodded, grasping his little brother's wrist as close to him as possible, knowing what Les might do. “I's did too. So I's got a proposition for youse. Katherine gots a goil' friend named (Y/N) from work and I's think you would like her.”

Jack looked at him with hoping he would catch on to what he was trying to imply. “So you're saying that?”

“I is saying that maybe, youse could meet with her and if everything goes well maybe... just maybe! Us four could go on a double date?”

“Who is going on a date?” Les beamed, turning his attention to Jack and his brother.

“No one's go--”

“Ya' brother Davey is little guy.”

“Davey! A-And a girl?! This seems like a miracle!” Davey rolled his eyes before stopping Les from degrading him even more. This was followed by a cheeky grin from Jack, a death glare in return on Davey's end.

“I'll only accept if she is okay with this thing.” He sternly said. “She is definitely down. Kathy talked to her yeaterday. So don't worry about it.”

“Okay... And what about the specific details?”

“Oh right! Ahmmm later today, before supper. Around 4pm in the biggest park here in 'Hattan. Don't youse blame me if she doesn't show up okay? This information was given to me by Katherine.”

Davey nodded his head before heading home to give his earnings to his family and also for Les to have a little rest before going out with Sarah and his friends.

“Why can't I come?” Les whined to his older brother who was freshening up to make up a good impression.

“Because only adults are allowed Les.” Davey replied desperate to make their conversation end and not more complicated.

“Fine. But just so you know. Next time, only Sarah can come with me to the swings.” Les pouted.

“Whatever you say...”

Once their conversation ended, the siblings went on their separate ways. Sarah and Les were off to a different park, a little further from Manhattan. While Davey was going to one at the very center of the borough.

“Okay... So (H/C) hair, slightly (tall/short), wearing a (F/C) skirt...” Davey murmured to himself as he searched for a young lady fitting those descriptions.

(Y/N) on the other hand was doing the same. Lurking around the park looking for a tall guy with brown hair and was wearing a newsie cap.

The two kept wandering until they found each other at the middle of the park. “(Y/N)?” Davey questioned his own instincts, not sure if that was her.

“Yes. And are you Davey?” She questioned back.

“Well... David but nevermind. Nice to meet you by the way!” He sent her a warm smile also offering a hand for a handshake.

She gladly shook his hand sending him a smile before offering to sit down at a bench under a tree.

“So... I know this might be a boring thing to say but tell me about yourself.” (Y/N) asked Davey shortly after they sat down.

“No not boring at all. Completely essential if I may comment but uhmm I'm the oldest of three siblings, I am a newsie. You probably guessed that from the attire and all-” He let out an awkward chuckle pointing to his cap. “-I'm friends with Jack who is your friend Katherine's boyfriend. I'm not sure if that makes sense but anyways... I uhm actually stopped school because I had to do this. F-For my family, because my dad lost his job. He got into an accident at work...”

“Well... I'm sorry about your father. I hope he gets better soon.”

“So uh what about you?” Davey returned the question.

“Okay, so I'm (Age) years old and I have (no. of siblings). I love my parents very much, they support me in everything I do specially this reporter thing. I partially helped with the newsboys strike, I helped Katherine write “The Children's Crusade”and I love reading so much.”

“Oh my goodness thank you very much but wow! I have never met any newsie or school friend who also loves reading.”

“I know right?! They all are sucked up with the newest technology and fashion!”

“What books do you like to read?” Davey asked.

“Well you know the classics. Shakespeare and old biographies and stuff.”

“I would highly suggest “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” it was like released a few years back.”

“I might have to buy that! Thank you Davey or David!” She smiled awkwardly not knowing what exactly to call him by.

“It's nearly supper. Do you want me to walk you home?” Davey kindly offered, standing up from the bench.

“What a gentleman. Yes I would love that. We can also talk more on the way back.”

And that's what they did. They talked endlessly about their favorite books, their families, their school life and much much more.

The two enjoyed their time together. In fact, they really like each other after a few more talks. Davey really like the way she would get all excited and passionate she would be on what she would be talking about.

(Y/N) thought about how cute his little rambles are. She liked how thoughtful and intellectual he was about his words.

It's as if Davey was (Y/N)'s dream boyfriend and vice versa...

“Today was fun Davey. I guess I'll see you next time?”

“Of course you will. Goodbye (Y/N).” Davey waved at her before stuffing his fingers into her front pockets.

‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›

“Davey?! Davey?! Wake up! We're gonna be late!” He hears Les scream in his face.

Then the sudden realization hit him. It was all a dream an illusion in his mind while he slept. From that day on, he kept his fingers crossed that he'll find her again.