Ractrack Higgins » You're The One That I Want

Inspired by Grease! The Musical. Just because I'm obsessed with it atm... Hope you enjoy!

Manhattan, New York
Summer of 1899

(Y/N)'s POV

"My family has to go back to Virginia... Race what if we don't see each other again?" I said as we walked down the streets of Manhattan. "Youse already know we will. If fate led us here, surely it's real and nots just some summer thing." He swayed our hands back and forth.

"Race, I really am worried I won't be able to see you again." I held my head low.

"Don't be, I's be here waiting for you if youse come back okay?"

"You promise?"

"I promise."

We stopped in our tracks when my father called out my name. "(Y/N)! The train will come to the station in an hour, we need to go!"

"Yes papa!" I yelled back.

"I guess this is goodbye huh?" He pulled me into an empty alley and stared into my eyes. "No, it's only a see you soon." I smiled, cupping his cheek. "See you soon then." He smiled and leaned in. I closed the gap between our lips until a few seconds later I hear my father called for me again.

"(Y/N)! Get in the hotel! We're going!"

"I guess that's my cue. See you soon Race."

"See youse soon (Y/N). Remember I'm always here. If you ever comes back, I'll always be at the Lodging house okay?"

"Okay."

« Time skip to (Y/N)'s home in Virginia »

"Home once again." My mother chimed in as she placed down the bags on the floor. "Yup." I said popping the "p".

"Well (Y/N) you don't seem so happy at the moment. Are you okay?" She asked, rubbing my back. "I just miss New York. I've made a lot of new friends there and I feel sad leaving them behind."

"Cheer up! Haven't I told you?" I shook my head no. "Your father and I planned to move there in September! It's a better place for work and for your schooling." My face immediately lit up. I can meet Race again! "Really?!" I exclaimed. "Yes! We already saw a vacant apartment in Manhattan and it's the perfect size for us three." My jaw dropped. Am I dreaming? This is too good to be true!

"Thank you mother!" I exclaimed and hugged her. I can't believe after days and days of moping that I'd never see him again, I didn't think this would happen. But I guess Race was right about fate.

"It's no problem dear, now set all your things in your room and start counting down until the first week of September." I nodded and raced up my stairs into my room.

I set down my things, putting my excess clothes back in my closet and my essentials back in the small bathroom I have. I layed down on my bed as an idea popped in my head. I'll write a letter to Racetrack! I grabbed a piece of paper, an envelope and a pen.

Dear Racetrack,

It's (Y/N) my dear! I am now back in Virginia safe and secure. I would lie to myself if I said I didn't miss you a whole lot. I miss the way we'd banter around the boys, the way you'd hold me in my sleep, the way we'd go star-gazing up on Jack's penthouse...