Chapter 1

I've gone to school here in San Diego for 7 years and haven't made one friend. It doesn't bother me, I like being alone. Eating lunch under a tree, having plenty of time to study. I know I'm missing out on some things, but I've never been the one to make friends. Before I moved here seven years ago, I didn't even have friends in Michigan.

People here at this school, have been friends for years. I'd rather not mix in with the wrong crowd or get picked on. No one knows anything about me, I bet they don't even think I exist.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear everyone's whispers in the hallway dial down. I stand up from the stairs and move in front of some people to get a view. No surprise they were all looking at Vic Fuentes. He was the toughest guy at the school, him and his brother.

They've been ruling this school ever since 9th grade. Well when Vic was in 9th grade, his baby brother, Mike was a year younger. Vic and I had been in several classes through the years and I've seen how he acts.

He's not going to back down or take shit from anyone. Last year in our 11th grade English class, the teacher asked him to read a section of the Scarlett letter. He refused and the teacher yelled at him, Vic didn't take that too well. He punched the teacher in the gut and told him to go to hell. He got suspended for some time but it didn't matter to him.

"Get out my fucking way losers." He was yelling at a group of girls that were huddled together.

They all moved quickly and started saying sorry to him. His brother Mike laughed at their fear of him. Mike was tall for being the little brother, but his image made him more fearful. Mike was on 16, turning 17 next month and he already had tattoos trailing down his neck. Vic didn't have any tattoos just a bad, intimidating attitude.

Two guys came over to Vic and Mike as they were walking and bumped fists with them. They were Tony and Jaime. Tony was friends with Mike first, they met at a party and Mike kind of banged his sister. Tony didn't mind, but while Mike dated his sister they got close. Jaime has been friends with Vic since I've been here.

They came over walking towards me, I shielded my face and moved out of their way. I didn't want to be in their path, I liked not being on Vic's bad side, or his good side. I wanted nothing to do with him, I liked being unnoticed. This was my last year of high school I can survive it.

As they passed by I moved making sure they couldn't touch me. But I cringed at the slightest touch, Vic had brushed past me. I looked back hoping he wouldn't stop and yell at me. He didn't stop but he looked back and he met my gaze. I quickly turned around and went down the stairs to my next class.

I had algebra 2, it was a boring class, but it was the teacher who made it fun for me. I wasn't much of a math person, I hardly knew how to multiply. But if you put me in any class with Mr. Collins, I wouldn't complain. Everyday he would bring a snack or something that went along with the lesson. Some days he'd give us games to play, splitting the whole class into teams and giving the winners lunch passes.

I walked into the class eager to get to my seat to learn, well good off. He was one of my favorite teachers, I could talk to him about anything and we had a friendship outside of class. He'd invite me over to his house for dinner with him, his wife, and daughter. She secretly had a crush on my but I didn't mind. She was a sophomore and I was a senior, plus I was gay.

"Hey Kellin, kind of early today aren't we?" He checked his watch and saw there was still three minutes before the bell.

"Yeah, I just don't like being around in the crowded hallways anymore." He nodded his head in understanding.

"Okay, well how about you go ahead and take your seat. I got something fun planned for us today." He said as he picked up his attendance book and lesson plans.