Chapter 5

Today was my first day back to school. I did not want to go, remembering what Vic told me last night sent shivers up my spine. I didn't want him to beat me up or anything, I couldn't even defend myself. But if I could and was able to get away from Vic, I still had to deal with his little brother Mike.

I didn't have first period with Vic, that was kind of a plus. The thing I did fear, was that I would see him going to my second period. I sat in history waiting for the bell to ring, I needed to get to my second period quick. When the bell sounded I gathered my pre-packed backpack and went out the door.

I trailed down the stairs and went to my locker quickly. I had ten minutes but there was 5 of those minutes I wanted to avoid. I got my books out just in time, when I closed the locker Vic, Mike and their friends had just turned the corner. I speed walked over to the stairs and went down them.

"Hey Mr. Collins, sorry about the other day. I assumed you heard?" I sat down, he nodded and came over to me.

"What happen Kellin? That is soo unlike you." He pointed out.

"I know. I just tried to help that new kid, Justin. He was getting beat up pretty bad." I explained.

"Okay. Well next time, try telling an adult." He patted my shoulder.

"Okay." I agreed.

I knew that telling an adult would do nothing but add trouble. I've done it previously and it made things worser. That's why I hide in the shadows and remain an outcast to go unnoticed. He went over to his desk and took out his lesson plans.

"Do you think you could come over tonight? Since last time didn't go as planned." He asked as he wrote in his book.

"Sure. 6?" I forced a reassuring smile.

"Yes, Jessica won't stop talking about you. She even had her own little surprise for you." He admitted.

"Really? What is it?" I was excited and wanted to really know.

"Can't tell you. I promised." He held up his pinky finger indicating what type of promise.

"I can't wait." I smiled brightly. "Will you be here this afternoon?" I remembered I had detention.

"Yes. Why?" He looked up from his book and gave me a puzzling look.

"I have detention." I admitted sadly. "Do you think it'll be alright if I go home with you after school?" I didn't want Vic to catch me walking home.

"Sure, but I need permission from your mom or dad."

"Okay. I'll get it this afternoon at lunch." I took out my books as the bell began to ring.

Students started to walk in and I put my head on the desk to avoid any stares I might get. I heard the chair move next to me, I knew it was Justin. He didn't speak, I didn't want him to talk to me at all. After getting suspended and detention because of him, we had nothing to talk about. I kept my head down as the bell sounded, hopefully Vic was sitting down already.

"Kellin?" I lifted my head up to Mr. Collins. "Do you mind sitting up, please?" He asked nicely.

"Not at all, sorry." I sat up and laid back into my seat, watching him teach.

He was talking about the Pythagorean theorem. I knew most of this already, I loved math, it was one of favorite classes because I had Mr. Collins. I watched as he explained and answered questions others had.

"Hey." I turned to see Justin leaning over to me.

"Don't talk to me." I whispered.

"Look, I'm sorry I got you in trouble." He apologized.