Chapter 22

I saw her everywhere I looked. She was giving me her bright, beautiful smile and calling me 'honey'. She even asked me to follow her to Michigan. She said she was staying there.

"Come on sweetheart. I have a room set up for you and everything."

"Mom, why'd you just leave and didn't text me back?"

"Aww honey, I'm sorry. Your father came home and I didn't want to deal with him. He tried to talk to me, but I left." She confessed. Her light brown hair blowing in the wind.

"I missed you." I told her. She smiled and hugged me as we walked.

"I missed you too honey. But don't worry, we'll be home soon." She kissed me cheek and used her thumb to wife off some lipgloss that might have lingered.

"How is it in Michigan?" I asked her.

"It's great. I've met someone, his name is Daniel and he's the best thing ever. He's helped me move in to the house and everything. We talk some, but it's nothing official." She explained.

"Well, I'm glad you're happy mom. You deserve better than dad." I admitted.

"How has he been?" She asked, concerned.

"He's been crying a lot. He's got everyone thinking you're, um, dead." I choked out.

"You're kidding?" She hit my arm playfully.

"No, we went to your funeral and everything. I don't talk to him anymore. I told him that I'd rather him be dead." I confessed.

"You don't think I would leave you sweetheart, do you?" She gave me a hug.

"No, never mom." I fell into her hug.

"I love you Kellin." She kissed my cheek.

"I love you too. Forever and ever." I hugged her tighter.

We pulled away and started back to walking. She started to tell me about her new job, she got promoted. We were walking for a few more minutes before we say headlights. We shielded our eyes from the bright lights.

"Who is that?" She asked.

"I don't know." The headlights turned off and I saw clearer, it was Vic.

"Kellin, what are you doing? Get in the car." He demanded.

"No, I'm walking with my mom. Just leave us alone." I continued to walk.

"Hey Vic." She waved at him, he didn't wave back.

"You're so rude." I told him.

"Kellin, what are you talking about. Get in the car." He pleaded.

"Honey, go be with your friend. I understand." She laid her hand on my shoulder.

"He's not my friend. He bullies me and uses me." I told her.

"Kellin, what's going on?"

"Kellin, honey. Don't be so mean." She smiled.

"Kellin. I love you, let me help you."

"Love? So he's not a friend." She raised her eyebrow and teased.

"No mom. He's not anything. I don't want to go with him. I want to be with you." I started to cry like a little kid. I yearned to go with her.

"Come on." She took my hand and led me.

Vic was shouting and screaming my name. I ignored him. We walked over to a bridge and she stopped. She smiled wildly at me and kissed my cheek. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her.