Chapter 16

After missing a week of school, I went back. I was tired of being cooped inside a house with my dad. I didn't want to face any people right now, but they were better than him. I still hated him and reminded him every chance I got. When he brought my food up and tried to talk to me, I would tell him. I did, I hated him. I wish she was here instead of him.

I woke up Thursday morning and got ready for school. When I was showered and dressed I looked for my phone. I found it under my pillow, I had been listening to music and left it there. I grabbed it and left my room and went into my parents' room.

My dad started back work, so he was gone. I looked through my mom's drawers and got one of her scarves. I wrapped it around my wrist and headed downstairs. I went into the kitchen and fixed my usual breakfast.

I poured my Frosted Flakes in my bowl, but soon lost my appetite. I was eating this cereal when she came that morning. A feeling of nostalgia ran over me as I poured the food out.

I grabbed a granola bar and left the house. It was cool, the breeze felt good. I walked the few miles to school, listening to music along the way.

When I got to school, I went to my locker and got my book. I sat down on the steps, like usual and began to read. I wasn't bothered or bumped into, it was like I was invisible again.

The bell rang and I went to first period. The teacher was still talking about Thanksgiving, I don't think I'm going to celebrate, but I can just write something down.

The bell rang and I went to my locker. I kept my head down as I wandered through the halls. I looked around and no one was staring.

I opened my locker and hoped that I wouldn't see the one person I wasn't looking forward to having a conversation with. I punched him in the nose, he'd probably kill me. I grabbed my books and headed off to my next class.

I went inside Mr. Collins' classroom and sat down at my desk. He started staring at me, so I laid my head down and took in the scent of my mom.

I heard his footsteps coming towards me as I didn't want to talk. I regretted coming to school, I didn't want to be bothered. I felt him put his hand on my shoulder and then kneel down beside me.

"Just leave me alone." I spoke softly, so he couldn't hear me choking back the tears.

"Kellin, you have to talk about it." He said sympathetically.

"I don't want to. He killed her. I just want her back. Now can you leave me alone?" I pleaded.

He didn't say anything, he just got up and left. I started to hear the familiar footsteps of other students entering the class. I kept my head down during his whole class period.

I would have participated, but talking to him only made me cry. I didn't want anyone to see me like this. I'd say about twenty minutes into the class, I heard the door open.

"Why are you late?" He questioned someone who I identified as Vic. "Very well, sit down."

I had the urge to raise my head up, but I didn't. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I took it out and looked. It was him, he texted me.

'Meet me after this class.'

I didn't reply. I didn't want to. I laid my head back down and soaked in the embracive scent of my mom. I wanted to cry, but I knew it would only cause trouble.

I continued to keep my head down until the bell rang. I wanted to be the last to leave class. I waited until I heard no more footsteps before I got up. I walked past Mr. Collins who gave me a concerned look.