Chapter 17

When I woke up, we were entering Utah. Vic was still awake and he didn't seem to be sleepy. It was 2 in the morning and I wondered why he hadn't been tired yet. He had been driving for over 13 straight hours and he has yet to fall asleep.

I looked around the car and saw he had cans of Monster lying around. This must be how he's managing to stay awaken. I looked at him and he was saying something, I couldn't hear it because I still had my music playing. I took my headphones out to listen to him.

"You must be really tired, you slept for 6 hours." Did I really? It must be my lack of sleep, I haven't had a goodnights sleep in a while.

"Yeah, kind of." I laid back and watched the road ahead of us. It was dark, but the stoplights lit the way for us. "What are we doing in Utah?"

He smiled and ignored me. "You hungry?"

"Yeah, but what are we doing in Utah?" I asked again.

"I'll stop at next exit and we can get something. I'll have to wake Mike up in a bit anyways." He still ignored my question, so I dropped it.

"Are you not tired?" I tried to make conversation.

"Nope, sometimes I stay up longer than this." He confessed.

I nodded in understanding and looked back out the window. I played with the scarf that was still on my wrist. I missed my mom more and more each day. I put my headphones back in and played some music to take my mind off things.

I listened to my playlist I played whenever I was in the car with her.

Therapy by All Time Low

Ritual by Black Veil Brides

Lauren's song by Breathe Carolina

And The Snakes Start To Sing by Bring Me The Horizon

Picture Perfect by Escape The Fate

Hurt by Get Scared

Underneath Every Smile by I See Stars

Stingray Affliction by Issues

Disappear by Issues

You be the anchor by Mayday Parade

Windows In Heaven by We Are The In Crowd

Amnesia by 5 Seconds of Summer

Me and her would drive around for hours, with no destination, we would just listen to music. I didn't think that I would ever have to be without her. I always thought I would die before she did, the career I chose put my life in danger a lot. I always thought I would be shot on the job or something, I never imagined that she would be the first to die. I was tapped on the shoulder and I took out my headphones and faced Vic.

"I'm sorry for your loss." He didn't take his eyes off the road.

"Thanks." I forced a smile.

"I never really got the chance to tell you." He looked hurt.

"It's okay." I stared down at my hands. "So is that why you came to me house?" I asked.

He sighed and nodded. "Yeah, we didn't have anywhere else to go. I'm sorry that we just took over and all." He started to mumble things under his breath.

"It's okay." We drove in silence for a few more minutes. "Does he ever hit you?" I wanted to know but I didn't know if he wanted to tell me or not.

"Yeah." He admitted.

"Was it as bad as what he did with Mike?" I got scared for their safety.

"You ask a lot of questions." He said once again. "But no, not nearly as bad as that. Mike is always home and so it's worst for him. When I'm home I just get beat. He's been hit with things." He took in a deep breath. "He even pulled a knife out on him."