Chapter One "Unwanted Second Chance"

"Dark days lie ahead for the center of the web."

Within a dark room, an older woman sat in an unusually large chair with a crimson-colored blindfold over her eyes and matching silk dress around her body. Large strands of webbing surrounded the entire room, images of different Spider-Men and Spider-Women embedded within them. Extending her hand, a small orb materialized and revealed an image of the Spider-Man of her universe, Peter Parker. The image faded, morphing into another. With his mask torn, Spider-Man fell to a knee before Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, Electro, Vulture, Shocker, and Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin.

In a bright flash of light, the orb disappeared from sight before the end of the vision could play out. Madame Web shifted her head in the direction of one of the strands of webbing. Peter's image could be seen within, but it broke away from its position, floating gracefully in the air, but instead of reaching the floor, the strand whipped around, placing itself upon a new spot in the web. Madame Web's brow furrowed. As Watcher of the Web, she had seen many things, even four different Spider-Men in one locale recently. Yet, in all her wisdom, Madame Web could not believe the fate that awaited Spider-Man.

There was hope yet, however. Energy spiraled near her lap, transforming into a book. Madame Web turned her attention to Peter's strand of webbing. A new image formed inside, causing the woman to nod her head. With a flick of the wrist, the book disappeared from sight. It was time for Spider-Man to embark on a journey and fulfill his destiny as the world's greatest superhero...

...in a land far away.

Explosions roared outside, causing the interior of her home to shake violently. Twilight peeked through the opening of her curtain, catching sight of a huge fanged beast wrecking havoc on Ponyville. His large, black scaly frame covered the village like an ominous cloud, and his beady yellow eyes served as a false beacon of light in that same darkness.

"That monster's going to destroy the entire village at this rate!" Twilight said, panic evident in her voice.

Spike lost his footing, stumbling until he fell against the nearest wall. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know." The mare shook her head sadly. "None of my letters are reaching Princess Celestia."

Twilight rushed back to an assortment of books resting on her desk and pulled one from underneath the group, causing the others to fall across the floor. "There must be a spell I can use. " she said, flipping through the pages hastily.

A second tremor occurred, much stronger than the last, and caused Twilight to lean against her desk for support. She turned her head away for a moment to steal a glance at the beast outside, but in that short time, the book she originally had vanished, with another taking its place. Once the mare turned her attention back to the book, she wasted no time opening it, unaware of the change that occurred.

"What is this? 'The Greatest Hero in History'? He's said to have saved countless lives and fought the most dangerous beings around." Her violet eyes shifted through her pages, widening at the sight of a notable passage. "Wait! This is a summoning spell!"

"Summoning spell? Do you really think that's safe? I don't think you've ever done that before!" Spike ran to her side with a look of concern in his eyes. "What if something happens? Princess Celestia might punish you!"

"I know, Spike, but everypony is in danger. I have to do something." Once her body glowed with bright violet energy and her pupils disappeared, she focused all of her power into the spell. "I just pray it'll be enough."

Elsewhere, swinging across the skies of New York on a strand of webbing, Spider-Man groaned underneath his mask. The city folk had been relatively rude for the day, calling him every foul word imaginable and some new ones as well. Jameson gave him a lousy paycheck, though that wasn't anything new. To top it off, he missed his math class for the third time this week.