4 - Beauty Sleep

''Evelyn!'' Jagger whisper-yelled while shaking me a little. It was morning and I was absolutely, one hundred percent way too tired to have to be doing math at 8 in the morning. ''Huh?'' I quickly tried to get back to the boring reality.

''Dude you need to get your ears checked, even my grandma can hear better than you'' he said, making ''Very funny'' I said, not in the mood to talk, especially then, with math as our background music.

''Seriously though, is everything okay, E? You don't look very well'' he said, briefly scanning my face. ''Yeah. Me? Oh, yeah, I'm great'' I said, my voice turning as high pitched as Ross's when he found out Joey and Rachel were dating.

''Come on, you know you can't lie to me'' he said with his usual smirk that oh so made me want to punch him. ''What's wrong Eve?'' he said, making me instantly turn my head to look at him when I heard him use the nickname that was only used by one specific person. He noticed my reaction and cleared his throat. '' Evelyn. Come on, tell me everything''

Was telling Jagger a good idea after all? Maybe he could have my back, help me even.

''Fine I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to tell anyone. I repeat say nothing to no one.'' I said and saw him playfully roll his eyes, smirk but nod eventually. "You remember Aiden, right?" I asked him, already knowing the answer. "Of course" he replied. "Well, lately I've been thinking... I know it's been a while but I've been thinking about him lately" I explained, making him frown.

"That's why you're acting so off? It's normal to think about him, no one expected senior year to be like this" he assured me, turning his head to look at the board and pretend he was at least half-listening to our teacher. "It's not just that. Don't you think it's weird that we haven't heard of him?" I asked, and he swallowed nervously. He opened his mouth, to give me an answer, but nothing came out.

"Come on, Jagger, you know I'm right. He left in the middle of the night, no explanation given, and now, three damn years later he's still gone? We don't even know if he's okay" I said. He shook his head. "Let's not think ahead of ourselves, here, why would he not be?" he played with his pen, looking away.

I sighed, my foot bouncing up and down. "I'm gonna look for him" I announced. His head snapped my way, but he collected himself. "I think you've been watching too many movies" he joked, chuckling. Truth was, I had already looked for Aiden, as much as I could. I tried finding his phone number online, or any form of social media. There was none.

"Are you going to help me or not" I asked, ignoring his teasing. "Have you considered that maybe the reason we haven't heard from him is that he doesn't want us to? People change, he could've turned into an asshole for all we know" he stated, and I tried to hide my disappointment. "You know what, I think there's no use in talking about this anymore, I'll look for him whether you help me or not"

I grabbed my pen and started dotting the paper, making designs not even I could identify.

"Where is this all coming from? You haven't talked about him in so long and suddenly you want to find him? You're not the FBI, Evelyn. Let it go" he calmly said. I frowned, getting angrier by the second. "Let's just forget about this... chat. There's no point in talking about this anymore" I replied.

"If you're gonna act like this at the party, then maybe it's best if you don't come. I don't know what's gotten into you, and frankly, I don't want to" he said, suddenly getting defensive. He got up and left the classroom, without a word, leaving me confused and even more unable to pay attention to the lesson.

~~~

"He's not all wrong, though" Ivory said. I had called her at 10pm, still thinking about the conversation I had with Jagger earlier. I sighed. "Enlighten me, please" I begged. "You have been acting strange lately, and I think this whole Aiden situation has become somewhat of an obsession for you" she said, making me almost want to drop my phone out the window.

"It just seems like you're looking to stir things up, and I get it, but this isn't the way to do it" she said. "Stir things up? Is that what y'all think I'm trying to do, here?" I said, and my tone got louder on its own accord. "Calm down, there's no need to yell" she replied, but that only got me more riled up. I took a deep breath to try and collect myself. "I'm not yelling" I said, my voice coming out small.

I wanted nothing more but to hang up and start screaming 'till my throat was sore. Why is everyone treating me like I'm crazy? I thought my idea to look for my friend was reasonable, considering it's been almost three years now and there's been no signs of him, but according to them I was acting crazy.

"Look, I think it's best if you took a step back and focused on what's really important right now; you've been looking for colleges non-stop and trying to maintain your GPA, it's only expected that you'd need a break, but this is too much for you. If you start looking for him now you'll lose track of everything" she said, her voice softening.

"I guess you're right" I agreed, still reluctant. "I'm always right" she responded and I could almost see her flip her hair. I chuckled. "Cheer up, I can feel the premature wrinkles forming on your forehead" she playfully scolded me, and I shook my head, laughing. "I think I've got nothing to worry about, I'm sure you'll be there to cake my face with night creams" I teased her. Since middle school, we've been planning to move in together when we're old enough, and now this plan was actually coming to life.

"Alright kiddo, I'll let you get your beauty sleep. Sleep tight" she blew kisses through the device before hanging up. I left the phone on my nightstand and fell back on my pillow, shutting my eyes tightly. What a freaking day.  

I felt exhaustion take over every cell of my body, but my heart couldn't stop pounding. The thought of going to that party, getting drunk and making some very questionable decisions,  brought back some adrenaline, some excitement that was definitely missing from my life at the moment.

***

Next chapter's the partyyy 😏 Y'all ready?