CHAPTER 9

Rutherford was leaning against the pillar of the tent when Gob walked in.
      "Where have you been all night?" Rutherford questioned.
    "You wouldn't believe it even if I told you".
  "Dalian has been here thrice to see you".
Gob sighed in annoyance,                 "What does she need me for?"
Rutherford looked over at Sefth who was blissfully sleeping at his corner of the tent.
   " Some of us would give anything to have the people we love around us, Dalian clearly loves you. Make do else you may regret it".
   "Am not interested in her, she is a non-matter I've got bigger problems,"
  "What problems?"
   "Am supposed to be the personal guard to the Prince's sister".
  "What!!" A voice screamed. The voice didn't belong to Rutherford, it belonged to Sefth.
   "You weren't asleep" Rutherford accused
  Sefth ignored him.
  "Did you say you are to be Eveliet's personal guard?"
  "Yes, the chief commander ordered that..."
"The chief commander?" Rutherford and Sefth howled in disbelief.
    "Barely a night in camp and you are already making enemies in high places"
  Rutherford chided.
"Being her guard can't be that bad" Gob countered trying to be optimistic.
  Sefth looked at Gob as if he were speaking nonsense.
  "To put it nicely" Sefth continued
     "She is a she - demon. I have no idea what u've done to incur the chief commander's wrath but this is designed specifically to make you suffer"
   "I have been put in positions like this in the past, I will prove to the chief commander I can't be broken".
    Gob reported to the tent of princess Eveliet. He was checked rigorously by dozens of princess Eveliet female guards.
    Finally, after excruciating hours of checks and double checks, he was ushered into the chambers of the princess.
    Eveliet was in the middle of her dinner when Gob was ushered in.
    She took a curious glance at the solider and almost immediately, she lost interest and went back to eating her dinner.
   "You are lower in rank than the previous men who have been sent to guard me".
    Gob hadn't taken his eyes off the ground. He was in enough trouble with the chief commander and he wanted to do all in his power to make sure he didn't incur the wrath of any-other higher- ups. So he was on nothing but his best behavior.
    " I apologize your highness but I swear to give my breath,sword and life to your  protection and if need......
     "On your knees" Eveliet ordered, cutting Gob's speech short and flabbergasting him simultaneously.
      "Your highness?"
  "You heard me,kneel."
For the first time, Gob raised his head  to meet the princess's gaze.
    Her long blond hair was In contrast to her almost cat-like eyes.
    She looked every bit a royal in her golden dress. In summary, princess Eveliet was one of the prettiest maiden's in Xan.
    Defeated, Gob sank to his knees.
    "You took twelve seconds to get to your knees, as penalty, you shall sleep outside my tent, in the cold".
   Gob already had been warned by Sefth concerning  Eveliet being a she-demon.
    Now he realized Sefth was wrong. Eveliet wasn't a she-demon, she was the devil.