chapter 2

"You think you can disappear and come into our lives like you are forgiven?", he says

My heart clenches and he continues, "you never called and when we did visit you'd never act like you were happy to see us",he spat.

His brown eyes held anger, "when you left, mum and Quinn cried non-stop, Faye stopped being herself even dad had it difficult. You caused a lot of pain Odetta and they might have forgiven you but I haven't", he said and left.

Tears roll down my cheek, "I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to cause anyone harm", I say as mum comes to hug me.

"I don't deserve to be here", I mutter and wipe my tears.

"Nonsense, no matter what happens, you're my daughter and you deserve to be here", dad says, "I can talk to noel"

"No please"

"You shouldn't dad. It's between Noel and odetta", Faye mutters.

"I'm so sorry but he was excited that you'd be back", alia says with a confused expression.

"No, it's okay. It's not your fault"

"I hope this hasn't severed our relationship."

I smile at her, "no it hasn't"

"Noel talked about how we were when you left but I think he had it worse than any of us here. He's your twin brother and best friend isn't he?", Faye says.

"So you need to talk to him", Quinn continues, "he loves you but he's hurt by everything"

I just nod.

"He'll be over by the pond", alia says.

I start making my way there. My mind races with what to say to him as I pass the beautiful trees.

"And make sure to be back by six", I hear mum call out behind me.

I find noel sitting by the pond deep in thoughts so I quietly walk over and sit beside him. The silence stretches for a few seconds before he speaks.

"You didn't call", he simply says.

"I'm sorry"

"Sorry isn't enough"

"I know and I'm—", I start to say but trail off.

"Sorry?", He scoffs.

I didn't say anything and he continues, "if mason just walks over to you and says he's sorry for the pain he's caused you, do you think it'll make a difference?"

Tears slide down my cheeks. I wanted to scream at him for mentioning his name but I can't—he has a point.

"No it won't", I says lowly.

"So you know how I feel?"

"Yes"

"Wrong", he says harshly, "I'm your twin brother Odetta. We made a promise to be best friends together forever and do you know what best friends do? TALK . And when it gets tough and you're hurting, you don't talk to me, you just pack your bags and you're off." He says and the harshness is laced with sadness.