chapter 9

•••

•••

"Psstt ody." I hear someone whisper and I turn around to see Javier sitting on a nearby table with his father, the beta and his mate.

"Do you like your vegetable sauce?" He asks and makes a face.

I smile, "No. It's horrible." I say and he nods in agreement, "but—" I start and he makes another face. I have to stop myself from laughing out loud at his cuteness, "—you have to eat it because it's good for you."

He pouts and looks at the plate of vegetable sauce like it committed a crime, "Okay, i will eat it if you do."

"Deal." I say and take a spoon of my vegetable sauce with pork. I chew as I look at Javier. He watches me until I swallow before he takes a mouthful of his and swallow. It takes me a moment to realize that everyone is watching our exchange.

I just ignore them and eat my food.

"So—" Dad starts and clears his throat. "you have grown attached to young alpha Javier Lyall."

"Yes and is that a problem?"

He shakes his head abruptly, "No of course not. I'm just curious plus it's nice to see you not forcing a smile."

"Look, I just really like the kid and he actually makes my day less boring." I say loudly for the people eavesdropping to hear, "And it's kinda annoying how everyone sees it as something weird and how no one seems to mind their business."

The tables around us go quiet after my words and after a couple of minutes, they start conversing again.

Dad and mum stand up and look down at us, "We are heading to the ballroom would you guys like to come along?"

"Oh yes I'm done eating" Quinn says and stands up and they leave.

A lot of people leave after them while some stay behind to finish their meal or just converse with people before heading to the ballroom.

I'm still eating my strawberry cheesecake dessert and Alia groans in annoyance at Noel who is eating everything in sight.

"I really want to dance Noel." She says.

He sighs and stops eating to look at his fifth slice of strawberry cheesecake with so much love and regret.

"I'm sorry." He whispers to it before lovingly caress it with his fork, wiping his mouth with a napkin and leaving with Aria.

"And what are you still doing here. Aren't you done eating?"

"I'm waiting for a certain someone to ask me to dance." She answers as she zeroes her gaze at someone.

I trace her gaze and she's looking at the Beta of Royal moon pack. He's pretty young so it isn't weird and he seems interested in her because while eating, he makes eye contact with Faye.