chapter 28

•••

•••

''God dammit Odetta. Next time I strike, I won't hesitate to hit you hard." Victor shouts from the other side of the training field.

My back hurt, my feet, my thighs—screw it, my whole body hurts like hell. I was close to tears.

It's been a week since Casper and I went out on our first official date. I'd have loved to go on more but I've been busy with sorcery and combat trainings with Dakota in the morning and Victor during the afternoon.

I am hugging myself in a fetal position on the ground while Dakota just watches in silence and Sebastian screams at me.

"Odetta come on, you haven't had a solid, clean hit at me and you are just lying there helpless. Think of Javier." He screams.

I blink back tears and stand up. Every move I makes me want to cry out but I bite my lips to stop myself.

"Come at me again and this time, come hard." He says and crouches. I look at him before running at him. I throw a weak punch which he dodges and takes hold of my arm. He pins my arm behind me takes hold of my second arm when I try to hit him. He flings me to the other side of the field.

"Oh come on Odetta" he growls.

I start to sob "Is that the best you can do. Come and hit me."

"I can't." I say slowly as I sob harder.

"I can't let you go if you can't knock me off my feet."

Standing up straight hurts my muscles. "Please no more."

He just shakes his head at me. I sob as I lunge at him but I kick his knee which causes him to lose balance for a split second. As he straightens himself, I punch him which hurts my knuckles but I ignore the pain. I punch him again in the stomach and he doubles over, before I could hit him again, he grabs my hand. He bends my left hand at a painful angle. I hear a sickening crack which causes me to cry out. I swing blindly with my other arm which manages to hit is eye and he let's go of me.

I a flash of rage, I transform and charges at Victor again. I'm reminded of why he's the Beta. He doesn't even waste a second before he transforms too and blocks me. I aim to bite a leg of his front paw but he shifts and grabs the scruff of neck in his jaws. I whine and struggle for him to let go but he seems to clamp down harder. I let out a painful howl.

"That's enough." I hear Dakota say and I feel my wolf form drop to the ground as Victor let's go. I shape shift back to human form not caring about my state of undress.

"Come dear." Dakota murmurs as throws a huge blanket over my shoulders. I wrap tight around my body.

"I'm sorry Odetta." Victor says with pain laced in his voice.

"She needs it. She's getting better." Dakota says.

I cry and bury my face in Victor's chest as he carries me to Dakota's cabin. We arrive and he sets me down on her bed. She prepares a mixture and gets me to drink it then she has her special healing candle burn in the room.