chapter 30

•••

•••

"I have to call Alexa." I say as I barge into the house. It's still early in the morning and everyone is still asleep except for Sebastian.

I bump into him on the stairs "Woah, woah, woah, where are you going to in such a hurry?"

Sebastian stumbles slightly as I push past him and continue up the stairs. I run all the way into my room and start looking around for my phone.

"Phone, phone, phone." I chant to myself as I look around for it. I finally find it on my bedside table charging. "Aha." I say as I pull it from it's cord. I unlock it and go straight to my contacts.

The first ring goes by, followed by the second and he picks up at the third ring. "Why are you calling me. It's three in the morning?"

I make a sound by sucking in air with my teeth. I completely forgot about the about the time distance. "I'm so sorry Noel." I whisper back.

He sighs "It's okay. What to you need?"

"I need Alexa's number."

There is silence at the other end of the line "Noel?"

"I'm here. Why do you need her number?"

"I can't explain Noel but trust me."

I hear shuffling in the background and Noel's muffled voice, "It's just Odetta babe. Go back to sleep."

"Okay, I'll text you the number in a few. Please Don't do anything reckless. Okay?" He says and hangs up.

I decide to take a quick shower and change into a dress. I'm combing my hair and thinking of the things to say to her when my phone vibrates. I hurriedly pick up my phone to see a message from Noel.

'I hope everything's alright. Text me if it isn't. This is her number *********' It reads and I quickly type back.

'Thanks. You're the best brother in the world'.

'I know :)' he replies back and I roll my eyes.

I dial her number and wait as it rings. She doesn't pick up on the first ring or the second or the third. She doesn't answer the phone at all. I let out a frustrated sigh and call the number again and this time she picks up on the first ring.

"Who is this?" She sounded sad, so fucking sad. That's not healthy for a pregnant woman.

"Alexa it's me, hope I'm not bothering you?"

"Odetta?"

I nod, "Yeah." I say as I nervously walk around my room.

She didn't say anything for a while before she finally spoke, "Are you calling to see how miserable I am." she spits out.

"What are you talking about? I just wanted to know if you're okay."

"It's been months. You could have called then not now."