chapter 23

•••

•••

"Is all this related to Luna Adrianna's death?"

He looks taken aback by my question and for a second I think he isn't going to answer my question.

"It's okay if—"

"She died a day after Javier turned a year old. Sick isn't it?" He started, "We were experiencing an attack, something small. Something I thought I could handle but I underestimated them. I told her to stay with Javier as I fought but when I arrived, there was no trace of her. Javier looked so terrified Odetta. You should have seen him.

"For months we looked for Adrianna or maybe even her body. During that time, Javier did not say a word or make a sound. He stopped eating and started to lose weight; sometimes, we would wake in the middle of the night to Javier just standing outside in the dark or even screaming. I can't imagine what happened or what he saw that made him that way but I was determined for him to forget it. I had Dakota cast a memory loss spell on him, everything from that night but the side effects was that he wouldn't have any memories of the days before that too. You can't really select it, Magic doesn't let you. That's the price we had to pay.

"I doubt he even remembers anything about Adrianna. I convinced him that his mother died during childbirth and he grew up with that. It wasn't till he was three that he discovered the ability of his blood like his mother. I don't know how they found out, but he's been a target ever since. I need him to be safe."

"So Luna Adrianna could be alive?"

"No she's not."

"She could. You didn't see a—"

"Stop it." He snaps and flares his nostrils, "I didn't need a dead body to know that she's dead. I felt it—I felt that pain after she disappeared and I knew that she was gone. I had to go on for Javier. We had a closed casket and buried her favourite book in her grave."

I swallowed, "I'm so sorry. I can imagine how that feels. The pain of your mate taken from you."

He looked at me with glassy eyes, "I know you know how it feels. I'd only been with her for seven years, barely a decade. We didn't even have much time together."

I wiped the stray tears that had fallen, I never thought I'd be here feeling sorry for Alpha Casper, "Do you still think about her?"

"No, I haven't—I can't even try without feeling like it was my fault. I pray she forgives me for failing her. But I've learnt to move on and so should you." He murmurs.

He sounded so hurt, so broken at that moment and I didn't care if I hated him or he was intolerable, I just went straight in for a hug. I hugged him tight—tighter than anything and i swear that i felt a tiny spark. "I'm sorry you feel like that. It wasn't your fault and I'm sure she forgives you. You're doing such a good job with Javier." He surprises me by pulling me so close. It felt so good and warm and just—