16. Shadow

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I spent the rest of the day at school trying to fight back my fear. I couldn't get rid of Jack's words.

"It's not only me you're pissing off."

It was not just two teenagers fighting with each other. It wasn't just some small little quarrel Jack and Jaden had going on. It was about two gangs fighting over territory, and I was now a part of it. I was terrified. I thought Jack and his friends were bad enough, but realizing that this thing was far bigger than that...

And I couldn't even tell anyone. I would only drag them down with me, that I already knew, but I had heard stories, terrible stories, about what happened to those who put their nose into their business. Whenever I even thought about telling someone, I could almost see everyone I cared about... dead. No. I wasn't telling anyone. It was a mantra, playing in my head nonstop. I would not get anyone killed.

But I would die. That was getting clear to me. Dead, or worse, and I didn't want to know what could be worse. I just knew there was something worse.

The fear didn't leave me. Jack's aura followed me everywhere I went. I also had the feeling he didn't believe even for a second that I would actually find out what he wanted to know. He just wanted to torment me. I mean, how on earth could I possible find out where Jaden's secret hiding place was? He was not going to talk about it. It was a secret hiding place for crying out loud!

It was horrible to realize my fate. I couldn't do what he wanted. He knew that, so... What was he going to do with me? Did he give me a chance just to see if I could actually pull it off before he would turn my life into a living hell, or was he just trying to make me so afraid I would lose my mind first? He was doing a great job if that was the case.

Getting out of school had never been such a relief for me before. Jack was outside in the parking lot when I stepped out through the main doors, and he turned to look at me the second I saw him, but he only smiled, before getting in his car. That was the scariest smile I had ever seen in my entire life. I didn't waste a second to get away from that place.

I decided to take a longer route home, so I could avoid every road and street there was in case Jack decided to follow me by car. I kept my eyes and ears open the entire time, but he didn't follow me. Once I arrived at the orphanage, I didn't go too close to it. Instead, I hid in the forest and stayed there for a long time, watching the building. Just in case Jack would still show up.

But he didn't.

I was losing my mind. I would soon turn crazy if this continued. And it would continue, there was no doubt about that. When I finally found the courage to step out of my hiding place, cross the street and get inside, I almost started crying from relief. I hurried upstairs, wishing there was no one in our room, so I could have a moment to calm down. I really needed that. My stomach was twisting and turning, my arms and legs felt weak, my breathing was shallow and I couldn't stop the silent whimpers from escaping my lips every now and then.