|four|

|four|
el fùtbol
1 day later : tuesday

Millie's POV

It was another early morning. Is it summer break yet? I only hit snooze twice this time. I showered and put on some athletic purple shorts and a black t shirt. I put my hair in a ponytail and did some light makeup again. Brooke rushed me out the door again and we drove to school.

"Alrighty we have a seating chart. Come look at the paper." Mr. Montgomery said as he put a paper on his desk. I was the last one there because my crutches slowed me down.

"I guess we have the same seats as yesterday," I heard Finn's voice. We sat next to each other last Spanish class because we walked there together.

"Cool," I tried to sound calm.

"Do these worksheets. You can only talk in Spanish," Mr. Montgomery informed us. I love when teachers just give out worksheets because you can talk the whole time which is the one thing I do best.

"¿Cuándo son las pruebas de fútbol?" I asked him and I felt him look at me.

"Repitas," he said and I laughed and repeated myself.

"What?" He said in a quiet voice even after I repeated the spanish sentence which made me laugh again.

"When are soccer tryouts?" I whispered.

"Oh sorry. They're next week. Why don't you try out for the girls team?"

"I haven't played in a few years. I probably wouldn't make it."

"I bet you'd make it."

"You haven't even seen me play." I smiled and looked up at him. He was working on his worksheet still.

"You're probably good. Why'd you stop?"

"My coach quit so my team split up. Plus as you get older it gets so competitive but I just wanted to do it for fun,"

"Oh,"

"How are you so good at talking in spanish?" Finn asked me.

"My family is actually from Spain then we moved to London when I was 4 then here when I was 7. But I don't remember any spanish from that. I mainly just pay attention in class."

"Are you saying I don't pay attention?"

"I don't know. We've only known each other for two days." We both went back to working.

•••

Finn's POV

Thankfully Jack was the only other one at our lunch table. A bunch of guys came and sat down with us that I knew from school and soccer. They were all good people, but they just weren't my best friends. I guess Wyatt and Jaeden weren't there yet. It was a good opportunity to ask Jack a question.

"So are you and that Millie girl friends or are you guys close or something?"

"Uhh kinda. She's cool and funny but she's friends with a lot of people." He didn't really answer my question.

"Are you guys close though? It seemed like you guys were, in math yesterday."

"Oh no not like that. We know each other just because we were the only people that talked in our classes last year. Honestly I never heard anyone say a word in class except us."

"Did you have a lot of classes with her?"

"We had English and Science last year. And we've had some classes together every year since middle school. She's crazy smart. But why are you so interested?"

"Nothing I just wondered how I never saw her before," I took a bite and looked away, hoping the conversation would be over.

"Wait wait wait... dude, do you like her or something?" He smirked and put his sandwich down.

"What? No of course not. She's annoying. She never stops talking."

"Then why are so you interested in her all of a sudden?"

"I was just asking some questions. I'm not interested."

"Sure," he said as if he didn't believe me.

"Oh shit! Does Finnie have a crush?" Someone at the table said.

"Wait who does he like?" Another one asked.

God this is awful. Shut up everyone. Why am I friends with these people?

"I don't." My voice was strangely high pitched.

"You're not the only one. I swear everyone in this whole damn school is in love with her. Just get in line." Jack joked and took a bite. But it made me feel terrible. She could have anyone in the school. She wouldn't want me.

"Anyway I couldn't like Millie in that way. I'm trying to work things about with Maddie." He fortunately changed the subject.

"Are you kidding me Jack?"

"What?"

"You guys have been off and on since freshman year. Maybe just let her go. She's not good for you."

"Whatever." It got awkward even though guys at the table were having conversations. But I was glad to see Wyatt and Jaeden coming to the table. We already had a full table but we made room.

I saw Millie come in the cafeteria a few minutes later. Actually that's a lie. I just heard a ton of people get loud and I looked up to see what the noise was for.

Naturally, it was for Millie. She was smiling and talking to a big group of people. Her smile was mesmerizing. She hobbled over to a table full of people. A lot of people started talking and she laughed and started talking back like it was so easy for her.

I didn't realize I was smiling too until I looked back and Jack had his eyebrows raised at me.

"What? I was thinking of a joke I heard today." But I couldn't get rid of my blushing cheeks.

"Sure," he said with a smirk and he never stopped raising his eyebrows. So I turned back to my lunch and continued eating.

•••

Please vote and let me know what you think! Is this story going well so far? I know it's still going a little slow but it will pick up eventually. Any advice? Love you all! ❤️