|twelve|

|twelve|
finally
3 days later : monday

Millie's POV

It was back. The monster that gives you just two days of a break before it attacks again. School. It was Monday again.

Word got out what Iris said and did to me. Of course it's nice to know a lot of people but sometimes is not always good. Everyone was on my side and turned against Iris.

All day of school, Iris was being called awful names and being yelled at by strangers in the hallways. I felt guilty. They were treating her like this because of me.

Although at lunch, it crossed the line. I was already there and I guess Iris walked in because it even more loud than usual. I turned to the direction of the noise and everyone was screaming at her. You could tell she was crying. Her face was red and blotchy. Someone threw water at her then someone threw fries.

That was the end and I got up.

"Heyyyyyy!!!" It wasn't that difficult for me to scream loud and get everyone's attention. The commotion came to a halt and all almost all eyes were on me.

"Stop it! I never asked for any of this! Is this really how all of you were taught to treat people? You don't even know what happened. Please stop!" I yelled and they all went back to eating their food and talking.

Iris must've ran away because she was gone. Out the windows, I could see her huddled on a bench outside. I ran outside after her. Her hands were buried in her hands.

"Iris?" She looks up at me. Her eyes are red and glossy and her cheeks are tear stained and wet.

"I'm sorry Millie," her voice was nasally. She sounded sincere for once.

"It's... ok," I sat down and started rubbing her back, not completely forgiving her.

"Why are you being so nice to me? I heard you stand up for me."

"Because I'm a nice person," I joked but her expression stayed the same. "I know what it's like to be hurt and it sucks and I don't like anyone to feel that way... Even after what you did, you don't deserve this." Iris looked up and slightly smiled. She wiped her tears and stood up with me to walk back inside.

Everyone was watching us walk in together. But I was used to the attention. I told her she could sit with us but the girls at my table looked hesitant and unsure. I nodded and they finally agreed.

Since Iris and Jacob had been at school a week already, me and Finn didn't need to guide them around school. Even though Iris could've walked with us to science, she'd been avoiding us.

Also, Finn was avoiding her. Even though he sat next to her in all his classes, he never talked to her and always sat on the opposite edge of his seat.

We were walking to science close to each other.

"Want to come over after school?" I asked.

"Sure."

•••

"Question," we were walking close, side by side up my stairs.

"Yes?" I looked up to his eyes but he was still looking down at the stairs.

"Why are you so nice to everyone?" He was smiling.

"What?"

"Even Iris?" We got to my room and I went to shut the door behind us.

"Oh..." I was thinking. "Because everyone gets what they deserve eventually but she didn't deserve to get treated like that by everyone."

After shutting the door, I turned and he was smiling and looking into my eyes. Our faces were only a few inches away.

"I love how big your heart is," he smiled and slowly leaned in.

My heart sped up so fast I thought it might jump out of my chest. And then it finally happened.

Our lips connected tenderly. He put one hand on my cheek and one on my waist which brought our chests together. Although, I couldn't touch him because I had to just hold my crutches up. It was still so nice. All of a sudden, my whole body was warm and I melted into the kiss. I felt paralyzed by his touch. He moved his lips against mine and deepened it. I balanced my right crutch against the wall and still held the other. My right hand went to his neck so I could pull him closer to me. After a few moments, the kiss softened again and we pulled away, breathing heavy. We looked into each other's eyes and smiled.

"I've been wanting to do that for so long," he whispered and I blushed even more.

Me too.

•••

Finally! Am I right?! Sorry it took so long for them to have their first kiss. This was also a short chapter. Oops. Thanks for reading, love you ❤️