|twenty nine|

|twenty nine|
laughing in the grass
6 days later : friday

Millie's POV

"Number 23. Finn Wolfhard." The announcer spoke clearly into the microphone to the crowd, initiating that he was subbing into the game.

"Woooo. Go Finn!" I shouted. Jack, Wyatt then Jaeden sat beside me on the bleachers, cheering and clapping obnoxiously when we saw Finn running onto the field. Jack was especially obnoxious next to me. He's always been someone who doesn't care what people think.

"Where's Lilia?" Jaeden leaned forward to talk to me over Jack.

"Lilia and Sadie don't really do sports." I answered, keeping my eyes on the tall, curly headed boy who had possession over the ball right now and was then passing it to his teammate.

"What's going on with you two?" Wyatt asked his friend next to him.

"Who?" Jaeden wondered, dumbly which earned him a look from Wyatt and Jack. They knew that Jaeden was playing dumb.

"Nothing." He answered, looking frantically between the boys next to him.

"Suuure." Jack elbowed him.

"You two were almost sitting on each other's laps at the party." Wyatt exposed him and Jaeden looked over to me, uncomfortably.

"I don't care." I admitted. "You'd be cute with Lilia. I can talk to her for you if you want." I smiled.

"No, no. I don't like her like that. I mean she's chill and funny and... Bu-but I don't like-" He lied.

"Jae's a little scaredy cat." Jack rubbed his back and had his bottom lip sticking out in a condescending manner.

"Fuck off. I don't like Lilia." Jaeden mumbled. Jack looked over to me and rolled his eyes with a smirk and raised eyebrows. He had been friends with Jaeden and Wyatt for four years. He knew when he was lying.

I turned my attention back to the game, tuning out the boys arguing next to me. There was only one boy that could steal my attention. People weren't wrong when they said Finn's the best on the team. Most of me adored the competitive way he played, making quick, confident moves down the field. But a part of me was nostalgic.

I missed soccer. It's been so long since I've played and it feels like I was a different person all that time ago. So much had changed since then, but soccer is one thing that I'll always miss. The only thing I'll miss from my old life.

•••

"Way to go."

"A pro as usual."

"Great way to start the season."

"This is gonna be another winning season cause of you."

Many people were praising me after we won the game. It's something I'm used to but I'm not really a big fan of all the attention. One voice stood out of all of them though.

"Finn!" It was Millie, waving me over to where she and the guys were walking off the bleachers to get to me. She was wrapped in a light grey fuzzy blanket and smiling proudly at me. Her wind-blown hair fell messily around her shoulders, but never took away from her natural beauty that constantly radiated off of her.

"Millie!"

I turned and my face sort of fell, but not enough for anyone to see. Noah lit up and jealousy barely came back to life inside me before I mentally calmed it down.

"Noah! I didn't know you were here!" Millie mirrored his excitement.

"Me neither. I would've sat with you guys if I knew." Noah said. He introduced himself to our group.