|thirty one|

|thirty one|
Eric
3 days later: tuesday

Millie's POV

Finn didn't come to school yesterday or today. He wanted to be with his dad at the hospital and I know it would be too painful to go to school while he has a much more important thing on his mind.

During English, my phone suddenly started buzzing and I was about to turn my phone over to see who was calling.

"Millie! No phones during class. You know what happens." Ms. Purser put her hand out, palm facing up. I walked shamefully to the front of the room and placed my phone in her hand while she kept her evil eyes on me. She held the phone up and put it on speaker after answering the call.

"Hel-?" She started but was cut off by the person on the other end of the line.

"Millie... M-my dad."

"You're going to have to call Millie back at another time. She's in English. Although she doesn't seem to be listening." She shot my a scolding glare.

"Finn? What? What's going on with your dad." I ignored the teacher and stood from my seat to walk back to my phone.

"He... He-he died." He choked and I could hear soft cries. Goosebumps ran all over my body, stretching all up to my face. My eyes widened and my jaw fell. Everyone else's eyes were wide too and were all on me.

"Finn Wolfhard?" A kid in the classroom said.

Even Ms. Purser seemed to feel bad and she slowly and shakily handed my phone to me. I took it off speaker and ran out of the classroom, not realizing that tears were falling to my quick moving feet.

"Oh my god, Finn."

"Milli-I can't do this. I-I. He just-"

"Shh. Shh. It's ok. I'll be there in like a half hour."

"You-you don't have to come."

"I'm leaving now."

"No Millie. I don't want you to come."

"I don't mind. It's just English."

"Millie, please don't come. I just want to cry and not have you see me. It's too embarrassing."

"I would never judge you for crying. I just want to be with you. Can I plea-"

"Millie." He said with more authority and it was a voice that I figured I shouldn't argue with.

"I'll call you later then. Please tell me if you want me to be there and I will."

"Bye Mills. Love you." He hung up instantly. My heart was still dropped to my feet when I realized that his dad was gone. I really thought he would pull through.

He seemed so carefree and loving. I had only met him once but it turns out I'll never meet him again.

•••

"Hey Finn. I hope you're doing alright. I just want to be there with you to help you through this."

"I know it's going to be hard... I don't know what else to say. It's hard. Call me back when you get this."

Beep.

That had been my third message to him in the past couple hours. I had been trying to do my homework for 3 hours but my attention was elsewhere.

Maybe he's just not near his phone. Or hopefully he's resting.

No one can really help him through this process. Especially me, who knows nothing about this. Sure, I've lost many people in my life. People that I thought were there for me but ended up abandoning me. But this is different. I don't know what it's like to actually lose someone close to them. I can't imagine Finn's pain.