Chapter 40

_______

I reached the place where Jane and Jake were. Jake was standing a little away from Jane. She was just sitting on the bench, staring at the ground with tears in her eyes. I couldn't dare to go near her. But I had to.

I went and sat besides her, not uttering a single word. Everytime I opened my mouth to speak, I imagined her snapping, breaking down and things getting worse.

"Jane......" I could only take her name. That too in almost whispers. I
don't know if she even heard it.

She didn't respond. She was just like before. Silent, externally calm and broken. I was very afraid of the silence because I couldn't imagine anything positive happening after the silence breaks.

I stopped looking at her, leaned back to the bench and ran my hands through my hair.

"5 years" she spoke quietly in a shaking voice. I instantly looked at her, moved closed and paid all my attention to her.

"We were married-are married since 5 years" "NOT A SHORT TIME" she connected her watery eyes with mine.

My heart burned into ashes seeing those powerful emotions in her eyes. I gulped.

"Do you know how it feels being called a single mother? Being speechless when people asked who's Hannah's father?"

"Walking through people calling me with ugly words?"

"Imagining what stories the world must be making?"

"Counting my flaws because of which my husband-Boyfriend had left me?"

"I can't even tell you about what your 4 year old daughter used to ask me and others would ask her"

"How I used to shut my mouth everytime when I knew answers to those questions" "Just so that people won't judge you wrong"

"Do you know if Hannah knows that you are the person who broke her mum's heart, she'd never see your face again. She's just 4 but she understands my pain!"

She never disconnected her eyes from mine and just kept pouring pain into my heart.

"I didn't knew that I had a daughter" I don't know how I had the audacity to say this.

"Right" she nodded with evil in her eyes. "But you would have known this if you would have never made me throw you out of my life" she spoke the truth.

"I'm still not complaining! I'm just telling you how were the initial days for me and Hannah. I just want you to know all this" "I however gathered all my strength and fought for our daughter, Harry" "For me too" "My world ends with you but I only handled myself for the people who's world end with me!"

"It's fine though. No a big deal. We got married and we still are"

"I'm just upset because if you would not have hide this relationship, things could have been much better" "All this pain and sorrow was never necessary" tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I would have made every effort to tell you that I'm pregnant with your child. Just because you are the legal father" "It could have changed. Everything could have changed because at the end of the day we loved each other"

She looked away. "I forgive you, Harry. I just am tired of being upset with your decisions and ruining my life with my own hands by leaving you and letting you go again and again" "You just do what you want to do and never ask! You'll never change" She stood up and started walking towards the coffee shop.

"Jane!" I pressed my eyes out of guilt and regret. "Jane wait"

She didn't listen to me. I then got up and followed her into the coffee shop.