Chapter 2: A Knight to Remember

Who was she
To feel so free
With her heart on her sleeve
She just couldnt believe...
There was a price to pay —Price to Pay, Blues Traveler

Alanis opened her eyes slowly then jumped, startled from her slumber

Alanis opened her eyes slowly then jumped, startled from her slumber. Though she was exhausted, she couldn't believe she was so careless to fall asleep in such a dangerous place.

Her small hands scoured the tall grass at her feet in search of the stick she had plucked earlier for protection. She found it quickly and held it near her chest in a death grip. With night quickly approaching she feared danger would find her if she didn't keep alert.

How the hell did I get here, she found herself asking the same question over in her head as the forest grew dark.

There wasn't much to go on. She remembered talking to Justin, her Official, the night before. From what she could recall their talk was heated, she was upset with him regarding something, but she couldn't remember why. All she could remember was feeling unwell and going to bed soon after, and perhaps, even that was wrong. She wasn't sure.

Where the hell was this place, was the next question she grappled with until the sound of underbrush crackling caught her attention.

Panic was brief as she threw herself down into the tall grass. It was already dark enough so nothing would notice her there. She would remain still until they left. It was a good plan.

Crick-Crickkk

Crunch

The sounds grew louder as the thing drew near. Alanis kept her ground, hoping that whatever it was would pass by without notice. She held her breath and could see light bouncing through the dark reeds ahead of her. Their shadows danced on her pale skin.

Un mani rehiri (on my way)

Faild'glur reu un mani rehiri (on my way to glory field)

The song of the traveller made it to Alanis' ears as the torchlight passed her by. Though she couldn't understand the singers words, she could tell he was just as nervous about wandering the forest alone as she was, by the way he repeated the lyrics over and over again.

As the stranger passed, Alanis stood up, letting her stick pave the way while she silently followed. Occasionally, the crunching of underbrush beneath her feet, or the random sting of thorny vines would stifle her walk.

What the hell am I doing, Alanis silently scolded herself. She had no idea if this person was friendly or not. And having never left Larska's protective walls, she wasn't sure what types of dangers awaited her. But still, this was a person as scared of the dark as her, so it wouldn't hurt to follow him a bit longer. And perhaps, they were on their way to Larska or could show her how to get back.