Chapter 14: The Ritual

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

• • • • • • •

The remaining days before the ritual felt like an eternity, it seemed the more I worried about what Alexander would find, the slower the day would pass. I prayed every night that it was just as I claimed, that I had no idea what happened, and that I had forgotten the events that led me here. I hoped there was nothing more, I didn't want to find out what they would do to me if he found something questionable.

I felt like an outcast amongst everyone, and it didn't help that Cassandra went around Berthold warning each person she talked to that I was a potential threat, and to avoid me. I made it through with a lot of help from James. He constantly assured me that everyone would calm down once the ritual was performed. To be safe, I spent most of my time at his place, hoping my lack of presence would ease the rumors.

When the day of the ritual dawned, I was escorted to the castle by Lord Alexander's handmaidens. There were three of them, each wore a dreary colored dress, and had the matching attitude to go along with it. When we arrived at the castle, I was directed immediately into the guest's suite, to an elegant bathroom. It was enormous and beautiful, the stuff fantasies are made of.

My eyes were drawn first to the tub, it was made from an exquisite cream marble, its silver fixtures sparkled with the reflection of the water that filled within it.

The servants explained to me that I needed to bathe in this specially drawn bath, that it was required for the ritual. With strong argument, I talked them out of helping me undress, explaining to them that in my culture people were uneasy with being nude in front strangers.

I undressed quickly as they turned away and slipped into the bath, it was hot, but I quickly found comfort in it. I sat in the bath for what seemed hours, my skin soaked in the sweet aroma from the oils that swirled on the top of the water.

The servants sat near the tub and dug through a cart that was filled with lovely scented soaps and shampoos.

Unfortunately, I was unaware of all the preparations the ritual entailed. The maids informed me there would be no negotiating, that there were certain steps that were crucial and had to be followed to make the ritual work. So I sat back and let them bathe me, it was one of the most awkward moments in my life, the only comfort I had, came from the words of the eldest handmaiden. She retorted nonchalantly to me as I argued with her, 'You don't have anything we haven't seen before, this is going to happen, so I suggest you sit back and forget we're here.' That was easy for her to say, she wasn't being bathed by several grown women.

When the time came to get out I stood stiffly in silence. This time my nudity wasn't concealed, there were no bubbles to hide beneath. The servants took no notice of my modest demeanor, and without hesitation began to dress me in ceremonial garments made of silk. I cringed each time they brushed against spots that even I was shy about mentioning, or touching.

As I was being fitted, the youngest of the group began to twist and braid my hair, securing each section with beautiful hair ornaments made of silver. I stood in front of a tall free-standing mirror that resided beside the bath. As I watched through the mirror's reflection, my modesty began to melt away with the beautiful transformation I was witnessing. I admired their work and for a moment let my worrying mind rest.

"You can tell a lot about someone, just by their eyes," the eldest handmaiden said while working on my garment, her eyes were moving across the hemline of my skirt.