Chapter 37: Guarded and Delicate

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you—

Alanis Elis - Dress Art by Lis Esler (myself)

Alanis Elis - Dress
Art by Lis Esler (myself)

I dressed quickly and made my way to the castle as planned. I carried with me my pack, containing only the book of ballads. I was so excited with my find that I forgot to bring any other books, for study. Harold met with me first, he commented honestly on how haggard I looked. I would have been offended if it came from anyone else, but I could tell he was concerned with my lack of sleep, and didn't mean it as an insult.

He left me alone at the doors of the throne room while he met with Alexander. I took time to lean against the wall and rest my tired eyes in the blanket of the darkened hall. The dark swirled within my vision; it danced a hypnotic dance, leaving me feeling numb and relaxed. Minutes passed and with each second I slipped away, further to the cusp of dreamland. My back glided against the wall as I fell gently to the floor. The outside world had simply vanished.

A warm hand breached the darkness. It cut through the cold and took hold off my relaxed hand. My eyes opened wearily at first and for a fleeting moment I thought I had been dreaming dreaming of him, Alexander.

He was kneeling in front of me, with my hand clasped gently within his. The sound of his breathing was lulling, his gentle stare, endearing.

This had to be a dream, but it were - where was I? Wasn't I at the castle? Wasn't I waiting to meet with him? I thought as my eyes began to focus on him.

I came to with his pleasant greeting; his warm lips met the back of my hand before he spoke, "My apologies, Lady Alanis..."

My hand darted away, horrified that it was real, that I had nodded off in front of him before our meeting. What must he think of me. The sun broke free from the thick clouds, the light that escaped caught his welcoming smile. He had worn it in spite of my unusual behavior or could it have been the cause. I could not tell.

"I'm sorry. I closed my eyes for a second. I can't believe I fell asleep. Oh gods, I'm on the floor aren't I?" My hands shuffled against the cold stone floor, confirming my fear.

"It's quite alright. I'm only sorry that I had to wake you. But I figured if I allowed you to nap the whole afternoon away, you'd be extremely distraught when you awoke." He reached out, offering me his hand. I could not refuse. He whisked me to my feet and kept our hands bound.

"You're not feeling ill or faint, are you?" he asked while leading me into the throne room.

"I'm fine. Just a little tired," I replied, "but I'm feeling better." I added under my breath as my eyes caught the shimmer of his hair. It was sleek and bound back, all except an escaped lock that trailed against the back of his neck. He was dressed handsomely in his plated silver. The shoulder that was struck by the dragon was uncovered and barethe armor had not yet been replaced. I examined his shoulder; the wound he wore was nearly healed, all that was left was a pale pink scar.