Chapter 7: Blue-Eyed Brat

James' HouseBertholdMorning

James' House
Berthold
Morning

James knocked at the door to his bedchamber, gaining Alanis' attention as she worked on her hair. When the bun was secure at the top of her head, she rushed to the door, greeting him with a tired smile.

They had stayed up late the night before, talking until the early morning hours. It was nearly first light when they gave in, and finally went to sleep. James, being the gentleman that he was, offered his bed while he bunked on the floor near the fireplace.

"Looks like someone's in good spirits today," he said returning her smile with one of his own. His enthusiastic grin made her wonder how he had managed to be so energetic with so little sleep.

"You're lucky I made it out of the tub, James. I could have spent the entire day soaking," Alanis said, stretching her arms above her head. "It's amazing what a simple bath can do for you, after not having one in three days." It was true, she felt great, the hot water had worked wonders on her tired muscles.

Fortunately, the pump mechanism wasn't too difficult for an outsider, like her, to figure out. When activated, it filled the tub with hot, glorious water, that smelled funny, but left her skin glowing more beautifully than it ever had before.

It seemed it wasn't going to be as difficult as she thought it would be to give up the luxury of electricity, not with baths like these.

"Well it's a good thing you're feeling rested. I figured, since I'm off duty today, we could go down to the training fields and work on your wielding technique."

   Her brow rose in response.

   Work on my wielding technique?

"Yes, your technique. While you were pulling the other day, you let your power control you. It's common mistake amongst new wielders."

Common mistake?

"Hey, but it all worked out, right?" She shrugged playfully.

"Sure, you may have saved our hides back when we fought Onobilando, but we got real lucky with that catch," he said trailing off as he spoke.

Alanis smacked his arm. "You mean you weren't sure you could catch me?"

"Hey, but I caught you, right?" he said, imitating her earlier question.

"I guess you're right, besides, I'd like the distraction."

   James smiled again, though she noticed him eyeing top she wore.