Chapter 28: Sorrow

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

• • • • • • •

We made our way to the castle. The halls were more alive than I ever seen them before, meetings and conversation flooded every corridor. The city's guard and a group of stonemasons, argued about the costs of rebuilding the thrashed wall. And groups of healers wandered throughout the halls at the sides of injured soldiers, seeing to their wounds. It didn't look like anyone would get any sleep tonight, at least not here.

The throne room was dark and seemingly sleeping. All the beautiful flowers I admired earlier were hidden in their buds, waiting to be kissed by the morning sun. In time, my eyes adjusted on Alexander's dark silhouette, where he stood patiently beside his throne. As we drew near, he looked up catching the sounds of our walk. I could see him better against the light of the torch. He wore a clean uniform and his injured shoulder was properly covered. I straightened my gown and even took the time to comb my undone hair with my fingers, though it didn't matter.

The Council member walked ahead of me. "Lord Alexander, Lady Alanis Elis, to see you."

I cringed, biting my tongue.

I thought I told him not to call me that.

"Thank you," Alexander replied, his Council said nothing more and took leave. The sounds of his departure echoed through the room before Alexander dared to speak.

"Again, I apologize for the timing of our meeting."

"It's alright. After tonight, I don't think I'll be able to sleep," I replied politely while shuffling his shoulder armor in my hands nervously, nearly forgetting I was holding it.

"No doubt all of Berthold shares your apprehension to rest tonight."

"Ohhh, I almost forgot." I stepped towards him. "I have something for you."

He met me at the top step, my eyes rose to his curious glance while he held out his hand trustingly, waiting to receive what I had brought. I lifted it so it could easily be reached.

"You forgot—" I paused as his hand snatched mine in an encompassing hold.

I quickly brought the armor to our held hands, hoping then that he would realize his mistake.

"Here it is," I sputtered, feeling a wave of embarrassment. It wasn't my goal to hold hands with him, though the feeling was quite exhilarating in a most pleasant way.

His hand loosened around mine, but kept a gentle hold. "It wasn't my intention to cause you discomfort. I only wanted to thank you properly." He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it before releasing his grip.

"When you're blind the sounds around you can paint a picture of your surroundings. It can show you location and shape, if you know how to read it. And so, with a lot of time and exercise, I discovered that I could see just as well with my ears as I did with my eyes." He smiled while taking the armor easily from my other hand.

It had been his every intention to grab my hand earlier, like an idiot, I knew this now. I was glad he couldn't see the blush that was spreading from my face to my lower body.

His fingers danced across the hump of the metal, reading into its every curve. He wasn't shy about his handicap, he didn't hide the fact that he could only examine it in this manner. I was fully absorbed in the way he studied it, amazed with his ability to perceive the world around him so clearly without sight.