Chapter 3: The Serpent and the Tree

North Larska RiverUnknown ForestAfternoon

North Larska River
Unknown Forest
Afternoon

   The next day, Alanis and James ventured out together. They rode atop James' steed, Ellah. He thought it was a good idea for them to journey to Berthold together. She agreed, seeing that she had had no way of protecting herself if she tried to make it to Larska alone.

   While traveling, the young knight explained that there may be somebody there that could help her return home, back in Berthold, but it would likely come at a hefty price. He also figured he'd find his missing comrades there. Seemed their leader didn't have a thing for waiting.

   Alanis' worries melted away as she began to place trust in James. And for the time being, travel wasn't so bad. Not like it had been the other day while she was alone. She had time to marvel at the beauty of the forest surrounding them, now that she was comfortable.

   As they journeyed, James would point out new wildlife and plants, telling her their names and giving her details on each. He would chuckle from time to time at her curiosity. She must have sounded like a child to him, she supposed, with all of her questions regarding simple things. Well, simple to him.

After a while, the knight cocked his head to the side, his blue eyes soon peered back at her. "It's been some time since you last asked something, I hope I didn't offend you or anything. If there's anything else you would like to know about, I'm all ears."

Alanis pat his shoulder then smiled reassuringly. "No, I'm fine. I'm just... taking it all in. It's all kind of exhausting, if you know what I mean."

"I'm sure it is, discovering the world is fuller than you once thought. I couldn't imagine what you're going through." He noticed her smile falling then added, "But things will get better, you'll see. It'll get there in time."

   I hope so, I just pray someone will be willing to help me get home.

"I know you're anxious to get out of here, but do you think we could stop for a bit? I think my legs are falling asleep." She wiggled her toes, feeling little shocks with each curl.

"Sure," he said with a smile, then wiped the sweat from his brow. "We can break over at that stream."

   They continued to the small stream. James dismounted and held his hand out to her. She hesitated for a moment as she noticed the sword at his side, it's mother of peal sheath gleamed in the sunlight. His cloak had fallen from his shoulder to expose it. It was beautifully crafted, with delicate symbols carved about its casing. She found herself wondering if the young knight knew how to use it, he didn't strike her as the fighting type.

"You coming down, or not?" he questioned, offering his hand again. This time she grasped it and let him guide her to the ground.

   Alanis thanked him and sat at the edge of the stream. She cupped the icy water within her palms and washed her face. Goosebumps grew on her back and arms with each splash. As cold as the water was, she continued to bathe herself. The cuts were all nearly healed on her legs, she noticed happily.