Chapter 49: Farewell

• Dedicated to To my Buzzle friends, Where it all began...

Faris and I parted ways several hours after he popped the question of journeying to Ati Harei with him. I agreed, seeing no other way around it. He had to be the 'Crimson Cloak' my vision spoke of, there were just too many coincidences to ignore. Before I left, Faris told me he would inform his father, King Stronghold, of our departure and that we would travel first light.

I hurried back to the guesthouse and began to sort through my things. I packed only the essentials, with the exception of one or two sentimental articles. Furs and thick clothing were the first to be packed, along with sturdy riding pants and boots. I heard the cold bit hard on the road during the winter. I wasn't about to suffer a nasty case of frostbite for the sake of vanity. Besides, there was no way I could bring all the gifts I acquired and there would be no telling when or where my next vision would take me. It was best to travel light and make due with little.

The realization of my decision was hitting hard while I packed. I decided to leave with Faris so abruptly that I wondered if I had enough time to really think about it. But that wasn't the worst part, I made my decision on my own, without telling anyone. A lot of people were going to be upset with my change of plans, Alexander included.

I stooped over my second leather pack, the mouth of the bag was open wide, awaiting the next object I would place into its belly. I gently lowered the music box Alexander had gifted me into the pack. This was one of the sentimental articles I couldn't part with, but couldn't bare to look at. In my heart I knew that leaving it behind would be worse. I knew all too well that time would mend the pain I was feeling and that I would be able to listen to the beautiful song and watch the couple dancing again with hope in my heart, not pain. It was something to look forward to, when I was ready. I blanketed it with my white, sheer dress for protection and piled more protective winter gear atop it.

When I was finished I sat in front of the fireplace until the early morning hours. Then moved to my bedroom, where I plopped into my inviting bed. I sank into those silky sheets, and let out a sigh, it would be the last time I contemplate my fate between the four posts of this bed. I was doing the right thing, I assured myself. Moras said the next sign would come shortly and it did, the Sorrow delivered it.

The Crimson Cloak, I whispered out loud as I wrapped the sheets around my legs. Gods, please guide me down the right path, please... help me... I dimmed the lantern and made my peace with the night before falling asleep.

-----

The next morning I awoke early and dressed Trista for the journey. I had a filling breakfast and made my last journey to the city gate atop Trista. I was exhausted by the end of it all. It would be a miracle if I lasted until we made camp for the night, but it would make sleep all that sweeter.

At the gate waiting to greet me and send me off was James. I found it bittersweet that it was only him, he introduced me to this beautiful land and now he would see me leave it.

As I journeyed to where he stood, I could see he was still wearing his formal wear from the night before. A glassy sheen of exhaustion lingered within his eyes. His hand rose to help me from my mount.

"I see you were out were out all night in celebration." I smiled as I took his offered hand, he grasped it and helped me down from Trista.

"You missed a fine celebration. I've never seen a wedding so beautiful and moving. It even moved Cassandra to tears, can you believe that?" he snorted from my side as we walked.

I was surprised he hadn't mentioned my sudden departure, or complained that I planned on sneaking away without saying goodbye to him. I had my reasons not to. I didn't want to be convinced that I was doing the wrong thing because in the state I was in it would have been a fairly easy feat. I was getting anxious waiting for his lecturing words, but we walked in silence instead. Berthold's gate was overhead when he finally decided to speak.