Chapter 15: The Letter

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

After the ritual, all of my emotions were silenced. Fortunately, it gave me time to think about what happened during my last days in Larska without them getting in the way. In my head, I replayed the events of that night over and over until I came to some sort of a conclusion. Justin tried to kill me that night in Larska River. If my emotions had been intact I would have likely tried to rationalize his treachery.

The only thing I couldn't grasp was why he did what he did. If I was to believe what Alexander said, that those who went through the change were taken in and silently slain, why would he murder me if he could have had someone else do it for him? Perhaps, he had other plans, and changed his mind last minute.

I guess now I would never know. Either way there was no turning back, I would have to adapt to my new life and let go of the old one.

The effects of the ritual were not only felt by me, unfortunately, I heard rumors that Alexander was overcome by my lost emotions. I witnessed the start of it on that night during the ceremony. Fortunately, for him it didn't last too long. It was apparent that something went wrong during our exchange, and because of that, I was able to sense something that I shouldn't have, something about him, a secret that was kept from most of his kingdom.

Alexander was blind.

I could see it clearly as he held me within his arms, when the dark void enveloped my vision once more. It was then that I understood what he had said to me moments before, that he could see me. The darkness that shrouded my sight that night belonged to him, and for a moment he was able to see through it.

It wasn't only that, in my previous encounters with him I could recall the distant glances he would give, his eyes never made connection with mine or anybody else's, it was only during the ritual that they did. I had to admit, he was skilled at hiding his handicap, and I would have never known he was blind otherwise.

I decided it would be best to keep his secret to myself and wait until he questioned me about it, that is, if he even knew I was aware of it, which I suspected he did.

A week passed with little notice, and I had now been away from Larska for a little over two weeks. The rumors that spread around Berthold began to simmer down after the announcement of the ritual's outcome, and with that, the citizens started to welcome me a little more each day.

James was his normal overprotective self. He kept insisting that I get more rest, claiming that it would hasten my recovery. I assured him countless times that I would rather have him train me than wait on me hand and foot. And I explained that it would be beneficial for me to use my time wisely, instead of wasting it. He reluctantly helped me tame my wielding issues, so now I was able to wield without blasting off.

Berthold
James' Place
Late Afternoon

I waited patiently at James's doorstep, but my gaze was soon drawn down to the city below. It was late afternoon when he finally returned. The sun's light beamed through the heavy trees that lined the walkway.

James strolled up on Ellah, stopping her near the threshold where I stood. Behind him, in tow, followed a smaller horse with a white coat that was painted with speckles of brown.

I stepped off the stone slab to greet them.

"What did he say?" I asked, inquiring about the meeting he had with Alexander.

He smile and dismounted. "You're not going to ask me about her?" His eyes examined my lack of reaction. He was constantly doing that. Was he expecting my emotions to just switch back on?