Chapter 19: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 3

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

• • • • • • •

Day 3: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon

My bare feet glided across silky blades of grass as I ran wildly through it. It was a grand field that never seemed to end. There was a sense of happiness and freedom that followed me. I could smell it. It was in bloom all around. I came to a stop, I was on the hill with James again, the same one we stood on when we met the knights on the way to Berthold.

His eyes followed the horizon as he extended for my open hand, his touch sent me flailing into the air like a seed of a dandelion. I flew above him and his hand freed mine. I could feel the warm sunlight as it danced across my face, the soft breeze rushed through my unbound hair setting it flying behind me.

All the while, I could see an image that flooding within my mind, it was the stampeding hooves of the Berthold Knight's horses as they rode in the distance. I could see them clearly as they trampled through the field with intense speed, their powerful legs pulled up clumps of soil with each thrust.

As they drew near, the less I could see of my surroundings and soon all I could picture were their hooves as they plowed through the land relentlessly. My eyes were trapped in the hypnotizing rhythm of their gallop. Within the sounds I began to break free and realized where I was, that I was dreaming.

The horses stopped, all was silent.

One by one each knight jumped from atop of their steeds. Their faces were concealed by their metal helms, and their cloaks drifted behind them like the wings of an ethereal being. I could hear them whispering to each other as they prepared their weapons.

Would they be our saviors?

I could hear their chant like whispers emanating from all around.

Not a soul, anywhere...

Within the temple,

Down in the dungeon...

I go in alone, or not at all.

Unbelievable...

It's fine, I can take care of myself...

• • • • • • •

My eyes opened to the sound of the shifting dungeon door, light flooded the room as I lifted my head from James' chest. I pulled away from him and stood at his side weakly. My hands instinctively covered my face as my eyes adjusted to the light.

The memory of that dream was quickly lost with the excitement that rushed through me.

The guards walked in and freed us from our restraints.

"You haven't been down here to check on us since the start of our stay, what's wrong with you people?" I asked as I helped James to his feet.

As I questioned them Daria and Cassandra entered the room. I could honestly say that I was glad to see her this time, even with her unwelcoming stare.

Daria walked over to us, with her hand extended to James. "Where's the letter?" she ordered unconcerned with his current state.

"I have it," I spoke up.

Her eyes shifted from him to me, she stood there impatiently waiting for me to pull the letter from my pocket, and she snatched it from my hands.

"This has been opened!" Daria gasped as if she were surprised. "How can I trust that this hasn't been tampered with?"

Cassandra glared over at me.

"You locked us in a cell with no food or water for two days, the letter isn't the crime we should be discussing," I retorted, insulted by her lack of concern for our well-being.

"You should know the laws, why would your Lord allow you to come on such a trip if you didn't?"

"I can assure you, Lord Alexander will have them both punished accordingly," Cassandra replied.

"Please don't be cruel to her, she was scared, we've been stuck in this dark room... in this heat for days." James lifted his weary eyes to Cassandra's scowl.

"Lord Alexander shall make that call," she replied. Her eyes shifted to Daria. "But he brings up a very interesting point, why were we not informed of their imprisonment?"

But she ignored Cassandra's question as she read the letter, her dark eyes scrolled across each line slowly. Her small lips were pursed together as if she were fighting the urge to read it out loud.

She folded the letter and handed it to Cassandra. "You," she breathed, her stare was on me.

"Allow me to talk in private with this one. I need only question her, and if all checks out, I will release them back to you."

"No not alone." James pulled me back as I was stepping forward, his hand was on my shoulder.

I looked back at him while laying my hand on his. "It's okay," I replied.

His hand slipped from under mine and he nodded. I needed to get him out of here before his condition worsened, and if this could help speed up that process then I wouldn't even second guess her request.

"Let her go, so we can get the hell out of here." Cassandra ripped through our shared moment.

"Don't worry... she'll come back to you in one piece," Daria retorted.

I followed her out of the cell, leaving Cassandra and James behind. We walked up a level to where the heat let up, it literally felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I must have looked like a fool as I sucked in the cool fresh air.

We continued to walk, for awhile it was in silence. We were almost to the throne room before I got up enough nerve to speak.

"What would you like to ask," I inquired, we were already far enough away to where no one would bother us or hear what we were discussing.

"I haven't any questions for you," she said while walking ahead.

I stopped. "What," I replied nervously, she could sense my tension.

She whipped back and struck me down like a cobra, all I could do was stare up at her, my stunned body wouldn't move.