Chapter 27: Commended

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

My eyes trailed with Alexander's departure as he rode away atop a remarkable steed. Decorated as it was, its silver coat and mane were where its true beauty was. They matched each other ever so perfectly, it was a pity he couldn't see it.

I wondered about the meeting I would have with him later, would it be to discuss the question I had asked him earlier, or would it be something else?

As my busy mind spun with assumptions and wild ideas, I made my way over to the broken tree I had taken shelter in earlier. I climbed through the destroyed roots. My sights were set on the armor Alexander had lost during his battle. It shone like a beacon, like one of the many stars in the sky. I jerked it free with a swift tug. Alexander would appreciate the return of his uniform... and I had hoped my thoughtful gesture would ease any unforeseen tension in our meeting.

"Alanis," James called from behind.

I scurried through the roots to where he stood. He hovered over the broken branches, ready to strike with unpleasant words. I fidgeted nervously as I pushed past him, tugging away at the broken twigs that pierced my gown.

"Thank the Gods you're safe. Are you injured, do you hurt? What drove you to rush into a fight like that?" His words stammered both heated and concerned, but it tapered as his eyes fell to the armor I nestled within my arms.

My eyes lowered to the shiny metal covering. "Alexander's," I answered his silent question, "I've got to meet with him soon... I thought I'd bring it back to him. I'm surprised he's forgotten about it. Elder Simon told me this metal is rare and unfound in these parts."

He shook his head and sighed deeply, I could tell he was annoyed that I danced around his other questions so shamefully.

He looked away. "I can't believe you did something, so - so stupid!" he spouted infuriated.

I flew forward almost tripping over my own feet, "What!" I held back the words that were to follow that short outburst, Instead, a more important matter filled my head, one that needed to be addressed right away.

I grabbed him by the shoulder. "Felicia," I shouted, my heart leapt again, "Did you find Felicia, is she safe?"

"Yes," he replied, his rigid stare melted once he saw the panic that wreaked my face.

"You have her to thank for your rescue, she alerted Lord Alexander and his men to your location while they were out hunting the dragon. I rushed here as soon as she told me where to find you. You have no idea how-" he stopped while grasping my arm, his brow lowered as he continued, "...terrified I was. I thought something horrible had happened to you." He pulled me into his sheltering arms.

I sighed smothering my face into his chest. "I'm sorry." His arms shook as I apologized or it could have been my trembling body reacting to his embrace. It didn't matter. It felt good to feel safe once more.

"I'm fine," I assured him, "I'm sorry I worried you." I pulled away and looked up at his face. Something troubled me. It was the way he looked at me. He was out this whole night, yet he did not reek of alcohol or the tavern... He was sober, he hadn't had a drop to drink, so where was he?

My eyes examined him, "Where were you? I thought you were out here fighting against this thing. You weren't drinking, I can tell that much," I replied while slipping away from his constricting hands.

I had a strong feeling that he was not alone in his endeavor, being that Cassandra was nowhere near this fight; I suspected they were with each other... somewhere... His silence told me he didn't want to discuss his night, and that only solidify my concerns. I folded my arms against my chest and walked away, thinking my sour thoughts, feeling a tinge of betrayal roar through my veins. Of course I was angry, I had the right. He was out with her hours after our first kiss. But even so, I was warned both by Andrew and my better judgment... I had only myself to blame for ignoring them.

I whipped my head back. "You know what - forget I asked... that girl could have been killed tonight for no good reason." Any reason would have been a horrible one, I knew that, but I was trying to make a point. And he knew it. He could see the disappointment in my eyes. He turned away, not wanting to see it any longer.

The Council who had caught me earlier walked over, strolling forth from the shadows. His head bowed in a respectful way. It was directed only at me, how strange... His timing couldn't have been more terrible even if he planned it. I wasn't ready to go back to the castle. I wasn't done with James yet, I was just getting started. I was still expecting an answer about his whereabouts this night.

"Lady Alanis," he chimed while raising his head.

"Lady," James and I both gawked, he returned our rude stares with a stiff smile.

My wounded arms loosened against my chest. It was funny how his simple welcome extinguished my rage. Had I heard right, did he just address me as a lady? Earlier in the interview he had nearly bitten off my head. What made him exchange his loathing stare for a smile and respect?

"I apologize if you're offended by the title, but you have earned it this night for all you have done, for the service you provided Lord Alexander and Berthold."

James' stare moved from him back to me. I laughed hesitantly as my arms unraveled to my sides.

"Thank you, I'm sorry for my reaction... but please, don't go calling me lady just yet."

"As you wish - I was instructed to escort you back to the castle... If it pleases you, I'd like to take you there before the hour grows earlier."

I nodded, catching James' astounded stare.

"What happened?" he mouthed his question to me secretively.

"I'll ready my horse and we'll ride together, please make your goodbyes quick." He left just as hastily as he came.

James' eyebrow rose. "You don't get commended for wrapping a wound - nobody's that good, so what did you do? What happened?"

Explaining the events of the night would have taken more time than we had, while I debated telling him the short version of the story the Council had returned with his horse. I guess he was serious about those short goodbyes.

"I'll tell you when I return home," I replied finally.

He smiled, he was relieved by something. Was it the fact that I told him I was coming back? Did he expect me to pack my things and leave without finishing our talk? I was still unsure of where he was this night, but... was glad he was safe. We could finish our talk later, and besides I may have overreacted in that heated moment.

"Alright," he agreed after a long pause.

He walked me to the Council and his steed. His horse was tall. I would have put on quite the show mounting this thing, so I accepted James' help. His hands firmly planted against my waist as he hoisted me to the saddle. The Council took his seat in front soon after. He sat taller than James, he did not slouch. He had an appearance to maintain... so I thought.

"Have someone bring her home, see to it that she is safely returned," James requested while stepping away from the horse.

"A knight shall see to it, do not fret."

"Then I shall see you soon," he said to me and we galloped away.