Chapter 41: Followed by a Whisper

My eyes opened, the heavy air that blanketed the room was hot and humid. It reeked of artificial surroundings - smells of plastics and stagnant air filled my first gasps of breath. I sat forward quickly, the blanket I was swaddled in fell away from my bare chest. My hand rose instinctively to my neck, to an object that wasn't there... I had no idea what I was reaching for, but searched for it nonetheless. It was a memory, a fleeting memory that escaped me. I grunted while wiping the sweat from my brow, figuring it was all part of some dream I couldn't recall. It felt like I had been asleep for days and the dark room was threatening to take me back into that slumber.

I pulled the remaining sheets away. My bare feet soon met the floor. I raked my foot across the ground searching for my lost underwear. I slightly remembered tossing them beside the bed along with my other clothes, but in all honesty they could have been anywhere - they were tossed aside at an 'urgent' moment.

"Honey," a very tired feminine voice emanated from beneath the sheets. "Your pager's been going off for the last half hour."

My ears caught a faint buzz that vibrated an annoying melody over and over.

"The air's out again. City wide power failure... third time this week." I sighed and searched the nightstand for my pager. I pulled open a small drawer that was hidden underneath. My hand grasped the bulky, out-of-date, piece of technology. I tapped the side button, scrolling through the missed messages. Most were flagged 'Urgent' or 'Important', all originated from the same number - a number I was somewhat reluctant to call back. I jerked my phone from the same hiding spot, hoping it would be a reply to the request I made to relocate.

I walked to the windows and drew the blinds. Pale moonlight flooded the room, setting the white Berber carpet aglow. My eyes searched the empty streets below, then hovered out to the forests that loomed in the distance. I squinted examining the dark shadows of the trees as they swayed with the gentle sea breeze. Something was out there waiting for me, I could feel it.

My eyes dropped, it was so fucking hot, why was it hot, my easily swayed thoughts shifted to the window - I opened it and hoped the breeze would cut through the heat. The wind howled in and swept across the sheen of sweat that covered my exposed body, much to my pleasure.

The mess of blankets on the bed began to move, her slender legs were the first to uncover. She continued to pull away the blankets until I could see the whole of her naked silhouette. She shifted to me, to the cool breeze that was fluttering through the silk curtains. Her crystal blue eyes shimmered in the light. I could see she was grateful I had opened the window. She wearily smiled and closed her eyes.

I picked up a half-empty box of cigarettes that I had hidden, intentionally, behind the blinds. It was an old habit that was brought to life in the past month, an old nervous habit. Nevertheless I plucked the matchbook free from the inside of the box. I was preparing for the worst, before it could surprise me.

I dialed back the numbers carefully, the hour was late and I didn't want to mistakenly wake the wrong person.

The phone rang three times then cut to silence. I was just about to hang up when I heard someone rustling from the other end of the phone.

"Hello."

"Yes," I retorted begrudgingly to the familiar voice, it was the one person I was hoping didn't page me.

"How's life in The Cove treating you?"

"It's hotter than hell, and the power keeps failing." I chuckled while striking a match, I lifted it to the tip of the cigarette, lighting it. "Oh gee... it's fantastic." I added sarcastically and took a much-needed drag.