Chapter 23: Uncertainty

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

The rest of the ride back to Berthold was silent, not a peep was made after Cassandra publicly berated us about our careless attitudes. She felt it was inappropriate that we weren't taking our current situation seriously, that it was perceived as an insult to her, and her king. It seemed her worry for James vanished with his request for her to leave him alone the night before, so now she was much obliged to deliver him to Lord Alexander for sentencing.

Uncertainty began to flood my thoughts as we breached the walls of Berthold. I reminded myself that what I did was right, that it ultimately saved us. But Cassandra's threats had unnerved me so much that I started to second guess myself.

Before we reached the castle gates the knights disbanded, taking leave while we were to interview with Alexander and his Council.

James pulled me to the side as we walked through the castle gates. His grip was forceful, not as gentle as it normally was. He released my arm when he noticed how displeased I was with his hostile gesture.

"What is it?" I asked while watching him fidget.

He looked like he wanted to run away, I could tell by his pacing feet that all of Cassandra's rantings had affected him too. His nervous walk stopped in front of me. I looked up at him, worrying how harsh this meeting with Alexander was going to be, it had to be unpleasant if it had him so worked up.

He stared down at me. "Let me do all the talking and we'll be set to go in no time." His request came off as an order.

He was crazy if he thought I was going to cower and heed his advice. There was no way I was going to keep my mouth shut. I knew what he was planning, and I wouldn't let it happen. I made no promise to back his request, thank god he didn't force one out of me, and left it at that. He started his walk to the castle without me, and I sprinted to his side, not wanting to be left behind.

A part of me longed for a lighthearted chat before we reached the doors, something, anything to distract my troubled mind. All I could feel was the anticipation building between us. The doors were just ahead, and standing there was Elder Simon, he was the old man I encountered my first visit to the castle. I learned he was part of the prior king's Council, and now he served Lord Alexander as an honorary advisor.

We both exchanged a customary welcoming. Although I would have welcomed him just the same, he was a pleasant man who had seen very interesting things throughout his years of service. I admired that about him.

"The Lord and his Council would like to see each of you separately." His words worked through his wrinkled mouth.

"Separately," James staggered, he was caught off-guard by his statement.

Simon was unaffected by his panicky overtone, I was pretty sure he had seen his share of troublemakers come and go. James stood there nervously straightening his hair with his fidgety hands.

"So, which of you would like to be interviewed first by Lord Alexander?"

I stepped forward. "I will," I blurted before James had the chance to.

I could feel his heavy stare without even seeing it, it stabbed me through the back like a dagger. He was angry with me, but I knew he wouldn't dare argue with me in front of Simon. He could be as angry as he wanted, I wasn't about to let him take the fall for the mistake I made... I knew that was what he was planning to do, and if he did, it would turn into a grand disaster.

Simon offered his hand to me. I took it politely and walked with him. He led me through the large doors into the castle, before they closed, I turned my view back to James, his fixed glare told me I was in store for a different type of trouble later.