Chapter 35: Old Wounds

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you-

My eyes darted open and I sprung from the lukewarm water that I slept in. Water sloshed over the marble lip of the tub, splasing to the floor below. My heart was pounding from the sudden wake. I caught myself falling asleep again, but the sound that had awoken me earlier hindered that action. Someone was pounding at the door, pounding an annoying melody.

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

The rap became more intricate the longer it went on. I threw my robe over my soaked skin and ran to the door. I knew it had to be James, none of the castle guards would be this annoying and inconsiderate.

I swung the door open, and my eyes were met with both James and Andrew's stare. Their hands were frozen in place where they would have struck the door again if I hadn't opened it. They both jumped back, like they were going to run away - caught in what they thought was a glorious prank.

"Do you know what hour it is?" I peeped in my lowest voice. I felt like their mom, and I realized how shrill my voice was as I scolded them.

Andrew laughed drunkenly before he went to speak, "I'm sorry-but he insisted, Lady Alanis." He stumbled into the grass and looked as if he was about to relieve himself in the flowerbed just outside the study room. I looked away as he did, outraged, at the childlike behavior they both carried.

James held a bottle of unknown liquor to his lips, and quickly emptied the last of it into his gaping mouth.

"The both of you need to go home-NOW! You know the royal guards tour this area. You'll get us in trouble. You... you... idiots!" I warned them through clenched teeth.

"She's right Andrew, take a hint and go home," James snickered threatening to throw the empty bottle against the wall. He swung his arm and I lunged for him, trying to grasp the bottle from his juggling hands. He pushed me away easily with a silent, taunting laugh. I growled.

"What-you're abandoning me already? You said you'd show me a good time James Alllard," Andrew teased while pulling his pants up, he didn't even bother to shake, disgusting. He walked back to the pathway crushing several patches of thick rosebushes. Thorns and stems adorned the lower legs of his pants.

He bowed starkly, "Take care of him for me. And don't take advantage of him, for I will know if you do." He winked. "Also you should know he gets rather giggly when he's had too much to drink."

My eyes widened with his request and moronic statements. If he hadn't disappeared into the darkness with that smart-assed remark, I would have sent him running into it.

James smiled and cocked his eyebrow high. "So, can I come in or would you prefer we do this out in the open."

I pulled him inside. "Gods, get inside before you get yourself exiled-or worse," I mumbled as I stealthily grabbed the bottle from his hand.

He strolled in and looked around at my new living quarters. He shook his head displeased as he paced back and forth. I could tell, he would blow up at any moment, but I prayed he would be quiet about it. I sat the empty bottle on an end table and counted to myself waiting for him to ask the question that I was sure he was going to ask. I got to three before he spoke.

"Why did you leave without talking to me first?" His drunken merriment was gone, with that serious question. And it was the question I was hoping to answer, luckily, I was prepared.