Chapter 47: Crimson Cloak

The day began like any normal day, the sun shone brightly in the morning sky. The bells tolled the song of the lovers, Gods Oath, it swept into my room and joined my awakening. Today I planned to write to Julian to inform him of my upcoming move to The Burning Forest. I would leave the day after Alexander's wedding, escorted by the higher knights. Today was also the arrival of Ati Harei's High Court, they would arrive just in time for the wedding. I sprang from bed and dressed in a lovely gown, making sure it was presentable just in case I ran into anyone important.

The letter was sent with the unexpected help of Harold. He was there performing errands of his own. When he saw the trouble I was having with the bird, he offered much-needed assistance. I hated that it had come from him, but was thankful he didn't make fun of my naive attempt at sending my feathered messenger off. Instead he inquired about my upcoming departure and asked if I had the time to read through Lord Blair's journal. I told him I did and he went on about the importance of heeding the call of Letando.

I sat on the window seat as Harold droned. My eyes followed a group of men who marched below the tower. I childishly pressed my face against the window when I caught their leader. It was Alexander. I held my breath as I watched him, his silver armor was polished, his cloaks pressed. He looked more gallant than ever. It wasn't fair. I exhaled softly, not realizing Harold's story had ended.

 I exhaled softly, not realizing Harold's story had ended

(Concept art of Alanis watching from the tower) by me

My heart fluttered when he turned his sights to the tower, though his eyes were low and he couldn't have possibly seen my spying stare, I slunk against the old stone wall to remain inconspicuous. Harold's stare mocked my sudden action, he looked bothered by it. I only hoped he thought I was daydreaming--that he didn't catch my stare. I smiled and nodded, hoping he would buy that I had heard him. And shockingly he bought it, he continued to talk, this time droning on about taking precautions regarding my messages from Letando.

Again his advice was lost as my fingers traced along the rusty windowpane, I let my mind and eyes wander once more. Alexander stood in the center of the action watching his men as attentively as I watched him. I wondered what his thoughts were at that moment, were they on me, or were they on his bride to be? My eyes grew misty when I thought of them together. They'd be together at some point, the same way we were. I concealed my tears, blotting them with the lacy cuff of my sleeve. It wasn't fair to think that way. As hard as it would be I'd have to let go.

He smiled as he paced in front of his men, no doubt they were going over protocol for the ceremony. His smile was telling. It eased my heart to see it. I could read the pain behind it, his eyes and forced smile gave away his true sorrow.

Several stories later, Harold and I were ready to part ways, and go about our day. He took me by hand and led me down the spiraling staircase. I was thankful he had. There was something about that swirling pit that set me on edge, just looking down at the ground level gave me petrifying vertigo. While descending, the tower doors opened and illuminated the dank staircase.