Chapter 20: Empty Handed

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

• • • • • • •

She grabbed me by the arm and forced me to my feet hurriedly. Everything was happening so quickly that I couldn't comprehend anything.

"Was this all you're doing, did you kill the king?" My questions went unanswered, she was too busy plowing ahead to acknowledge them. "It's only a matter of time before they come searching for us... What the hell is going on?" I planted my feet, forcing her to stop with me.

"Shhh," she hushed me while twisting my arm.

I pulled away from her grasp with a forceful tug. She stopped with me, but her sights were still ahead.

"No," I hissed. I was too tired and hungry to fear what she would do to me at the moment, all I wanted to do was get out of this damn place.

"I'll shout if you don't answer me," I warned.

Her dark eyes peered back into mine and I staggered back. The dead stare she gave almost stopped my heart.

"Scream and I'll rip the tongue from your pretty mouth," she threatened. Her voice was different, deeper, almost demonic.

Her hand grasped my arm once more, and without realizing it I was following behind her again. The fear that I wasn't willing to give her earlier crept up into my shaking hull as we walked.

"You're from a settlement too, aren't you?" she asked as she dragged me out into the throne room, her voice was her own again.

"Yes," I replied hesitantly remembering her earlier threat. "Where are you from?"

"Does it really matter... they're all the same," she replied while catching her breath.

I had caught her eyes again, they had changed. They looked almost human as they searched the room. She looked troubled... almost scared. Something strange was going on. It was as if she had two separate personalities.

"What's happened to you?" My eyes searched her face briefly before she turned away. Something was different, there was no denying that.

She rushed over to the main doors that led out of the throne room, her hands pushed at them desperately but they didn't give, they were locked tight. She stood beside the door with her forehead pressed against it.

"You can see it, can't you..." her voice was muffled by the door but I could manage to hear her as I edged near her. "You're the only one who has..." she added as she pulled her head away and looked back at me, she had changed, she was gentle and calm.

Her eyes were glistening, wet, was she... sad? She pulled the headdress from her head, her loose hair scattered across her shoulders as she threw it to the floor, a defeated sigh blew from her lips.

"Can I ask you something?" My request spilled from my lips, as I was nervous she would change back and harm me.

"Go on." She motioned for me to join her.

"Is it true... that they're murdering people like us in the settlements?"

I could have asked her a million questions, but for some reason that one seemed the most important to me. Even though I had wanted to forget about that place, I still wanted to know... Perhaps, I needed closure.