Chapter 26: Lahre Sari

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

------

As I sat there all I could think about was how much pain this thing was going to unleash upon me. But the pain of knowing what I was leaving behind felt greater. Was I ready for my story to end? Could I let them find me lifeless and mangled, no I couldn't let them find me like that.

A second wind rushed through me and I knew - I just knew I had to survive. I wouldn't lay down for this thing, I'd fight it till the very end.

I sat up, my will to live echoed in my words, "If you want my life, you're going to have to work harder than this to take it!" I shouted at the beast as if it could understand me.

The barrier was restored, it sprouted from my chest and expanded into the roots of the tree, sending shards of roots splintering into the dragon's wide eyes.

Its muscular tail whipped the barrier sending me flailing from it. Surprisingly, I landed gently, caught, by the arms of a man. My eyes widened, shocked by the arms that seized me, they were those of Lord Alexander's Council. His arms locked around me as he ran with me to a safe location. He made it look so easy, the way he glided to safety with me in his arms. I watched over his shoulder, Alexander and his remaining Council stood silently around the dragon. It pummeled its head deep into the dirt next to them; the stupid creature had no idea that it was making its pain worse.

I wiggled free. "Stop, release me!" I shouted while prying his hands away, he let me stand on my feet but kept me at arm's reach.

I was curious to see what they were up to, I wanted to see Alexander fight this thing, my curiosity wouldn't allow for me to leave just yet.

"Bring Moras and Reiro. I'll cut her down with Lahre Sari!" Alexander shouted as he unsheathed his sword, swinging it in front of him gracefully.

With his order, the dragon blindly swung its claw catching Alexander's right arm. The talon tore off his shoulder armor, flinging it into the broken roots of the tree I was just in. Alexander kept his wounded shoulder fixed. I couldn't believe how collective he was after suffering a blow like that. He shook it off and swiftly shifted the sword to his left hand and circled around with the beast. They reminded me of two dancers, the way they drifted around each other so gently...

The Dragon reared erect once more, readying to deal another blast of fire.

Alexander jumped back. "Moras," he grunted, reminding his Council to ready his wield.

He rushed over to his Alexander's side. His white gloved hands rubbed together rapidly; he pulled them apart revealing a small orb hovering between them. His hands pulled at the air, grasping at it like it had form. And soon I could see the water that flowed to his hands, it was compressing into the orb, it sparkled like a crystal ball.

As the dragon went to release its second firestorm, the Council tactically threw back a storm of water of his own. It swooshed dead center of the beast's mouth, it gurgled choking on the spray of water. The dragon fell back overcome and out of breath.

Alexander and Council strode to its exposed belly. Its eyes blinked, following their movements closely. It rolled over. The water must have washed the irritants away from its eyes.

Alexander shuffled back, "Retreat, I will perform this duty alone." His order was directed to his Council.

With no questions asked they honored his request, scattering away into the dark shadows.