Chapter 16: Centre Yew

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you.

   James and I continued our journey, stopping frequently when the winds and rain became too unbearable. By the end of our voyage, it had taken us almost two days to reach Centre Yew. When we finally reached our destination it took me several minutes to realize we were there.

   Their homes were scattered across the tops of very large trees, and from what I could see there were no ladders to climb to reach them. I looked around cautiously, it was eerily quiet—too quiet.

   We both dismounted and walked alongside our horses. My eyes followed a long trail of tree houses that sprawled above us, the wooden walkways that bound them swung gently in the breeze.

   Ellah reared back and let out a grunt, her sudden movement shook through my muscles causing me to jerk nervously.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath startled.

   That sudden rush of uneasiness was quickly muted, were my emotions starting to resurface?

   We walked for several steps before I could no longer ignore James's stare.

"What," I questioned.

"Jumpy are we, have your emotions returned?"

"No."

   If they had, I would have pummeled him for saying so out of irritation. I had kept a mental count of how many times he had asked that question during our journey, this was the fourteenth time.

"This place always gives me the creeps," James spoke up.

I looked above at the deserted town. "Where is everyone?"

"The people here are nocturnal, they still live by the old rules of our Gods."

"Will we have to wait until night to meet with the King?"

"No," he replied and took a large gulp of water from his canteen. "Someone is always on guard at the King's Temple, so we will go there and deliver the letter."

   We walked until the trees began to disperse. James claimed that the King's Temple was in the clearing we were coming up on. We tied our horses off on the border trees of the town and walked ahead. A lone guard stood in the remote clearing, he watched us silently as we walked to his location.

He examined James's armor as we drew near. "Knight of Berthold, what business do you have here in Centre Yew?" the guard spoke. His voice was stark and riddled with distrust.

"We've come to deliver a royal parchment from Lord Alexander of Berthold." James answered.

He handed the letter to the guard and watched him examine it.

His fingers grazed over the seal. "Any word for the reason behind this," he asked cynically.

The guard's eyes shifted from James to me.

"None, may I ask if it's customary for you to question your King on his motives every time he gives an order?" James replied stiffly and stood in front of me.

The guard grunted a short laugh. "Very well, follow me."

He glanced over to the nearest tree and made a gesture towards it, it was followed by a thunderous horn that blared through the treetops.

The ground below us began to vibrate and shift, James grabbed my hand and quickly pulled me to his side.

"Step back," the guard warned, motioning for us to stand behind him.